Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2005, 05:31 AM

Default Bay 101 changing from button drop to rake

Was over at Bay 101 tonight and they were passing out flyers explaining that on Jan 26th, they are changing over to a rake from the current button drop. Rake at 2/4 will be $3 and 4/6 through 15/30 will be $4. 20/40 and up will be a time charge.

I will like not having the 3rd force bet, I won't like the $1 increase per hand that is taken off the table.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:31 PM

Default Re: Bay 101 changing from button drop to rake

I have recently been playing at the Oaks in Emeryville. I started playing there because they switched from a time charge to a rake. I think that there is an advantage to the rake at the lower limits. This is because I play very tight in these games mostly 3-6 6-12 because you pretty much have to show down the best hand to win any pot. But on the up side you will get action even if you are viewed as a very tight player because frankly, 90% of the people in the game arent even watching. I used to not like the time charge because It seemed that a very tight player will pay the same as someone who calls every pot to the river. Since I have been playing there with the rake, I have crushed the 3-6 game. They take a 3 dollar rake and 1 dollar jackpot drop at 3-6 and 6-12.

That being said, the card room makes more money with the rake. My logic is that the bad players are paying most of the rake and thus the rake is an advantage to tight aggresive players.

Is this logic flawed?

I dont play at bay 101 because of the forced button blind.

Can anyone give me an explanation of which option is better.

1) Forced BB on the button

2) Time charge

3) Rake
Old 01-19-2005, 01:41 PM

4) time pots.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
4) time pots.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen reference to this, but never an explanation of what it was. Can someone explain it to me?
Old 01-19-2005, 03:09 PM

In games that are time-charged instead of raked, sometimes players agree to a timepot. Say the time due for a table is $70 ($7 per half hr, 10 players). One player volunteers to put up the entire time, then the first person who wins a pot over a set amount (usually 5 bets - $200 in a 20-40 game) pays half the time back to the person who put up the 70 (so he owes 35). Same thing with the 2nd pot over 200. If you don't want to be in a timepot, you can pay your time separately (this also applies if u will be walking during the down since this isn't allowed - it's angling to avoid a timepot). In this case (9 players in timepot, one out...7 charge), first winner of ot over 200 pays 32, 2nd 31).

This is good for a tight player but can sometimes KILL the action in a game (I've seen this many times). Timepots are sometimes used in AC depending on the lineup.

Jeff
Old 01-19-2005, 03:37 PM

Time pots are very rare in the 40-80 and 80-160 games right now, and I think it would be hard to explain to some of the non-native English speakers how they work. So, I don't think you'll see very many time pots in the 20-40 game.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:47 PM

They only had time pots in the 80 game, and now they don't have them anymore because there was a dispute over it once. I like time pots, and not having them makes me sad.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They only had time pots in the 80 game, and now they don't have them anymore because there was a dispute over it once. I like time pots, and not having them makes me sad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Time pots are a real double-edged sword.

scrub
Old 01-21-2005, 12:06 AM

i was introduced to them playing 20/40 at the borg a couple of weeks ago, and even saw them being run occasionally at 10/20 games.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Was over at Bay 101 tonight and they were passing out flyers explaining that on Jan 26th, they are changing over to a rake from the current button drop. Rake at 2/4 will be $3 and 4/6 through 15/30 will be $4. 20/40 and up will be a time charge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Going to a rake isn't a bad change for tight players, I guess, though the extra dollar is a pain.

With the rake, are they going to institute a "no flop, no drop" policy?