Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2005, 05:12 PM

Default The value of aggression

Villain in this hand is LAG at 37/20/2.5. Thought this wasn interesting hand in detailing the value of aggression.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB folds, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.40 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP folds.

Final Pot: 6.20 BB

Villain tells me in the chat window - QQ - VNH, exact same hand as me, and I win the pot.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:21 PM

Default Re: The value of aggression

This is a terrible raise really.

He either has K or AA or is bluffing. Why not let him continue to bluff? Now you take the most off him when you are ahead but you dont open yourself up for multiple bets when against a monster.

[ QUOTE ]
The value of aggression

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
exact same hand as me, and I win the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you feel as smug if he had JJ or 1010? This post reeks of results oriented thinking and is dangerous.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:53 PM

So u call this down to the river right?
Or do u even raise river? (guess not)
Old 01-17-2005, 05:55 PM

I call down and bet if checked to.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:20 PM

I couldn't disagree more with you.

I think the raise was a good raise for a couple of reasons. 1, not everyone will cap AK, a lot of people when threebet will just call AK because they figure the threebettor for the same hand, or possibly AA or KK. I think they cap with QQ or JJ a lot of the time here, maybe more often than AK since they have a made hand. He might also have AQ here, even tho my QQ makes that unlikely.

My threebet also has to scream AK at him. So when he bets out, if it's with anything other than AK, KK or AA i'm in good shape. I prefer playing this way, than calling to the river with second pair. I win the pot uncontested, which i'm fine with. Anyone with 1010 or JJ is probably going to quit betting if I smooth call, and will fold to a turn or river bet, so nothing gained by calling. If I called the other players bets to the river, i'd split the pot.

Incidentally on this hand, I was planning to fold to a reraise by my opponent, signalling AK to me. Given the above, I think this was better than calling down. I maybe win less, but I think I lose less as well.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:29 PM

I would probably do the same on the flop.

If he bets the turn, fold (barring a Q).

If he checks, then you bet. Take a free showdown.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:03 PM

OK...lets do this step by step. This is an exercise called hand reading.

What are your opps likely hands here?

I would say AK, AA-1010 are very likely. Possible also are 99-88, AQ, AJ or KQ.

Do you disagree or want to add any?
Old 01-17-2005, 09:20 PM

I thought about exactly like you. My thoughts were AA-10, AK or AQ.

I figure if i get reraised on the flop, or bet out into on the turn I lay it down. More likely is a check on the turn, where i'd check behind, and call the river bet. I think my line was ok here.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought about exactly like you. My thoughts were AA-10, AK or AQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, so what does AA, KK and AK do when you raise the flop. 3bet you and you fold. Or maybe checkraise the turn. Regardless you get put in the position to put more money in the pot.

But, you say you are gonna fold if this happens. OK, good. So what if JJ or AQ 3bets you? OOOOppppps.......

Ok what does QQ, JJ or 1010 do when you raise? Usually fold.

But what if you dont raise? What do these hands do on the turn? They bet again. You call again. Now, they usually check the river. You bet and get a crying call. So you make like 2 more bets against someone drawing to 2 outs.

In shorthanded and heads up situations this is the most common line here. If you dont understand why or how to utilize this line you are causing yourself serious dough.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:08 PM

I disagree that raising with QQ is clearly wrong. If you have to call him down to find out if he's bluffing, you'll have to invest 2 big bets. A raise here can be used to gain information and only costs one additional small bet. If re-raised you might consider folding. Thus you only cost yourself one additional small bet when behind, rather than two additional big bets. You have to balance this against what you'd gain if he is bluffing. Sure your raise might stop him from bluffing through the river, but how do you know he'll keep betting? You don't. All in all it's very reasonabl to consider raising here.