Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2005, 04:51 AM

Default Playing with Matt Flynn/Live Hand/Tunica

My stay in Tunica was short since I was just there for the weekend, so someone else can give a longer report or keep giving updates - but here's a few tidbits...

I got there last Friday and met up with a couple of 2+2'ers (Cero Z, Matt Flynn, and few others). I've met other 2+2'ers in the past, and it seems like there's always a repoir (and really not just purely poker-nerd-stuff related either). There were a lot of choices in terms of game selection at the Gold Strike but lists were very long. Saturday night a few of us met for dinner and afterwards Matt and I agreed to have a laid-back fun night, have a few drinks, and play some 1/2 NL at the same table. The game was good and stacks were actually pretty decently deep. As many of you know, Matt is a valuable contributor to this forum and I can say firsthand that it was great to sit next to him and play cards and shoot the sh!t about poker and other stuff. Ditto about Cero (though he didn't play with us that night). Anyway, Matt wasn't even in this particular hand but I said I'd post it so here it is...

Live 1/2 NL (10 handed)

I have ~$800 and both opponents in this hand covered...

Preflop:
EP makes it $7 (this is not really a "raise" at this table), real tight-passive player calls on the button (he has ~$225), I call in the BB with J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Flop ($22):
Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I bet $20, EP folds, button mini-raises to $40...action is on me....your move?....

keep in mind all of the relevant info that I've given...
Old 01-13-2005, 05:15 AM

Default Re: Playing with Matt Flynn/Live Hand/Tunica

I would either just call or make a substantial raise. Its probably close between the two, but I would lean towards a raise that would pot commit him if he calls.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:07 AM

You've got an openended str8 flush draw, which means you've got to get as much money in on the flop as possible. Pot sized rerraise, and pray he doesn't have a set, because you've got to bet again on the turn, even if you miss.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:12 AM

If he is tight passive do you really think he will put a lot of money in on the flop without a set?

-SmileyEH
Old 01-13-2005, 06:44 AM

Set, how about the straight?

Against tight/passive I just call here. Against anyone else, it's bombs away.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If he is tight passive do you really think he will put a lot of money in on the flop without a set?

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's that tight passive he might fold a set. Especially if it's a set of 9's.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:57 AM

make it 120 to go.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:52 AM

I think this is an interesting situation. Normally your equity with this type of hand against a made hand is firmly on the flop, if a 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] appears on the turn your hand value declines. But against someone who is very tight, it becomes a bit different. The only hand your favourite over is two pair. Is QJ a live possibility from the button or is he too tight to have limped with that. What about K-10s or J-9s. Your real problem in this coup is how do you get paid if you just flat call on the flop? A diamond comes on the turn, he really doesn't sound like the type of guy who's going to be willing to accomodate you in a betting competition. Maybe against this guy this isn't the greatest coup in the world. You either get it all in with a nice hand, while actually being a slight dog. Or you call and try and extract something if you hit. I'd go for plan B.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:10 AM

I think getting in as a slight dog is very optimistic here. I treat this as any other drawing hand, wait til you hit and try to get paid off as you see fit.

-SmileyEH
Old 01-13-2005, 08:02 AM

my bad. I just did the odds. Since you've got the Jd and can still get the strait flush, you equity all in is 44.6%. That's 1.24 to 1. With the dead money in the pot, even if you KNEW he had a set AND would call, going all in the pot would be laying you 1.29 to 1 ($80 in the pot, plus he's got about $178 left, you've got to put in another $200, $258:$200). Push your chips in and take the folding equity. And if he has a set, use the crazy table image ("omg, all in on a draw, you fish") you've created for youself to your advantage.

pokenum -h jd td - qs qc -- qd jh 9d
Holdem Hi: 990 enumerated boards containing Qd 9d Jh
cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
Jd Td 433 43.74 539 54.44 18 1.82 0.446
Qs Qc 539 54.44 433 43.74 18 1.82 0.554