Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2005, 12:03 PM

Default Interesting PokerEdge find.

I downloaded PokerEdge and paid for a month of low stakes. The information is decent, since the larger sample size of hands is bigger than what I have in PT. By no means does it have all the hands a player has played.

Here is the interesting part though, on their website they say they collect data though a farm of computers. The small detail they leave out is that YOUR computer is part of the farm. I noticed that while playing a table that had new players and no current data, after playing say 30 hands with that player, there was now 30 hands of data for that player in PokerEdge.

Now this doesn't bother me a ton, but the part that kind of worries me is they must be reading the hand history files from my computer as I play which in theory means they could potentially see my hole cards if they wanted.

Just thought this was an interesting find.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:58 PM

Default Re: Interesting PokerEdge find.

Do Party HH's get written as the hand progresses or only after the hand is complete? If it's as the hand progresses I would remove that software immediately.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:08 PM

Not until after I think, if u leave after folding preflop u will not get that hand in Pokertracker.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:53 PM

Right - if you are looking at the HH window, the history for the hand in progress will not appear until the end of the hand.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:05 PM

Actually the hand gets written the HH files as the hand progresses. If you get your hole cards and then wait and go open and look at the file the beginning of the hand is there, along, then pause after flop comes, stuff is there.

Yea I might be removing this software now that I think about it.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:52 PM

aaaaahhhhhhhhhh! Why didn't I think of this?!?!?! That's a good scam they have going. Hell yes the're using the HH you collect in thier database, the'd be stupid not to. Check the EULA, it's probably allowed.

I would uninstall/run spyware detection ASAP.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:54 PM

Do you read Readme files when installing updates? You've missed exacty the thing you just found:

Release Notes:
12/19/04
v3.20
-Hide stats for PE users from other PE users.
-Added stats updates for the current playing session.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Release Notes:
12/19/04
v3.20
-Hide stats for PE users from other PE users.
-Added stats updates for the current playing session.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is all very interesting. If you use their software, you are shooting yourself in the foot. You are ensuring that PE users will have a ton of data on your playing style.

The option to hide your stats from other PE users means almost nothing, because once you stop subscribing, you will no longer be considered a "PE user" and the use of your stats will not be restricted.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:25 PM

I think this is hugely cheeky. "Server farm" my arse. Surely they're breaking some sort of product description rule.

ZB
Old 01-11-2005, 10:37 PM

I would like to clear up the rumors that have been going around. As stated in our privacy statement:

"...PokerEDGE does not observe or record your hole cards. PokerEDGE does not analyze or observe any poker actions while a hand is progress..."

You can rest assured that we NEVER look at your hole cards, and NOTHING is ever observed while a hand is in progress. If you want proof, you can use a network "sniffer" to see the network traffic that is going in and out of your computer.

As far as "shooting yourself in the foot," this is simply not true. We want the best for our subscribers, and every new feature is created with our subscribers in mind. While you are a subscriber, your stats will be hidden from other users. If you decide to stop subscribing, you can simply change your PartyPoker name (you are allowed to do this once every 6 months). However, most of the people that start using PokerEDGE do not stop subscribing, as it becomes vital to their arsenal.

The foundation of our database comes from data collected by our personal farm of computers (100,000+ hands per day). Keep in mind that we had an enormous database BEFORE we sold PokerEDGE to our very first customer. Any additional data we receive is merely supplementary, and more importantly gives our subscribers the ability to see their own true stats. In addition, if an opponent is not tracked when you first sit down at a table, it is advantageous to see his stats that accrue during your current session. This makes PE a better product for our subscribers.

Please feel free to email us. We will be happy to promptly and truthfully answer any questions or concerns you may have. Our subscribers can attest to this.

Regards,
PokerEDGE