Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2004, 08:45 PM

Default tough spot with two sevens

Party 15 game. Cant find the HH so I have to write it out. Player in late middle position open raises, all fold to me. I call in BB with black sevens. Raisers stats are 20-10-1.2, after about 400 hands. So he basically seems pretty solid but I'm really not sure how aggro he is and if he likes to push postflop.

Flop: K 4 3 rainbow.

I check, he bets, I raise, he three bets and I call.

Turn: 3

I check he bets I fold.

Comments?
Old 12-30-2004, 10:03 PM

Default Re: tough spot with two sevens

1.2 is pretty low on the aggression scale. But anyway, I think a better line is to 3-bet preflop and bet out on the flop. Then you know he won't raise you on the flop without something that beats you.

I actually don't mind the line you took in that your turn fold is pretty safe (meaning the vast majority of the time you have only 2 outs). However, I think the 3-bet preflop line has a greater chance of getting him to fold JJ/TT/99 for perhaps about the same investment from your end.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:25 PM

What do these online stat numbers 20-10-1.2 mean? I play only B&M and am not familiar with these terms.

As for the hand I must agree with Nightwish that a preflop 3-bet is a better line. Bet the flop and if raised strongly consider a fold.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:02 AM

i dont like the pf 3bet, but i do like betting this flop and folding to a raise... or checkraising and if 3bet fold. i wouldnt even try to spike the set on the turn with a mere 9:1, its not enough.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:56 AM

You cant possible bet and fold to a raise on the flop that is very weak...

I like his line...check-raise flop and call three-bet to make him bet the turn
We would more then likely take a free card without a K...when he bets the turn it is a pretty standard fold to a good opponent.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont like the pf 3bet, but i do like betting this flop and folding to a raise... or checkraising and if 3bet fold. i wouldnt even try to spike the set on the turn with a mere 9:1, its not enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was talking with Hiatus Over earlier about which is better folding to the three bet on the flop or calling and folding the turn unimproved. (Assuming check raising the flop is correct.) Im not sure which is best. I guess the only problem with not calling the three bet is that once in while maybe he decides to get cute with a hand I beat, three bets the flop but then checks behind the turn. Unlikely but I suppose some might occationally take this line with AQ, AJ, 22, 66 etc.

I also dont think folding for one more bet there is great for your image, but on the net it's probably not important enough to take into consideration. Live I call that bet a lot because I dont want players thinking they can take cheap shots at me on the flop to get me off stuff like this and unimproved ace high. So, I guess I think its close.
Old 12-31-2004, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do these online stat numbers 20-10-1.2 mean? I play only B&M and am not familiar with these terms.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are from a program called pokertracker, which keeps stats on your game and on your opponents for all hands you play.

The 20 means that he sees 20% of flops other than an unraised big blind.

The 10 means that he raises 10% of his starting hands preflop.

1.2 is a post-flop aggression rating. I don't use pokertracker myself, because I play on a Mac and it only runs on Windows. But I believe 1.0 is average postflop aggression.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:13 AM

I've been check calling the flop and leading the turn in this spot. If you get raised on the turn you can be pretty sure your beat AND you avoid giving a free card to overs on the turn.
Old 12-31-2004, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been check calling the flop and leading the turn in this spot. If you get raised on the turn you can be pretty sure your beat AND you avoid giving a free card to overs on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like another reasonable way to play the hand. I think this is probably fine in this particualar game, but in a live game agaist a perceptive opponent I wouldnt like it as much. I guess the reason is because I would probably never play a king that way. My default with a decent king there would usually be check call, check call, bet, or maybe check raise the turn with a big king. Anyhow since he almost definitely doesnt have that kind of info on my play, I think your line is pretty good.

Its kind of interesting though because it does seem like the check call flop and lead at the turn with this kind of board usually isnt a real strong holding. The times I do tend to respect it is when a third straight card or third flush card falls on the turn. I think a lot of the time this isnt a steal or weakness, just that they are now afraid that you might check behind with a hand that just picked up a bunch of outs.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:21 AM

you fold 77 preflop vs an early raiser, one player - incorrect odds. once you call, and see the K you fold. if you choose to bet and he reraises you fold.