Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2004, 03:21 AM

Default Right Fold in Step 2?

I'm in the SB of a step 2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I have 1200 chips
villain has 3k chips
villain is the loosest player at the table, 42%vpip 15%pfr
8-handed in a tournament where 7 pay, 4 advance, do you take the odds on a push here? No fold equity, but his range of raising hands is probably including many weaker hands at this point.
first hand history post, i'm nervous [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Blinds (100/200)
kevinkim folds.
bigjim folds.
Txwavman raises [800].
pokersungod folds.
bag_of_nuts folds.
richnsingle2 folds.
NoOuts12 folds.
THREEKINGS04 folds.
Txwavman does not show cards.
Txwavman wins 1100 chips
Old 12-23-2004, 03:29 AM

Default Re: Right Fold in Step 2?

I think this is such a close call it really doesn't make a huge difference what you do. While his vpip is high, his pfr doesn't seem unreasonable. My guess is that he's doing a lot of limping but raising with decent hands. What has he shown down?

Also, if you decide to play don't push pre-flop. Use the stop and go. Call his raise and then push on the flop REGARDLESS of what cards come. The reason, of course, is that he'll definitely call a pre-flop push but might lay his hand down if he misses and you lead out with a bet. And if he doesn't fold, you're in the same position as pushing pre-flop.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:09 AM

what are the 3 smallest stack sizes? I assume you are one of them? What are the next 2 stack sizes? Remember, you just need the 4th most chips not the most.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:05 AM

Uh, unless the stack sizes look uneven I think this is an easy muck. Absolutely no folding equity(good chance he has QQ or JJ or KK here imho)What you are praying for a 45% shot???
Old 12-23-2004, 11:17 AM

Push. You have a strong hand, pot odds, and a loose opponent. You need to double up to advance. Even against AQ, AK, KK, QQ, and JJ, AJs is only about a 7-3 dog.
Old 12-23-2004, 01:04 PM

This greatly depends on the other stack sizes but anyone that is telling you to push without knowing what they are *and* where they are seated is making a gigantic mistake.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This greatly depends on the other stack sizes but anyone that is telling you to push without knowing what they are *and* where they are seated is making a gigantic mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have AJs and 6xBB. If this was passed to me, I would push from any position. If the raiser was tighter, I might fold. What am I worried about other callers. There are only 6 hands that dominate AJs. You are an 8-1 dog versus AA and about a 7-3 dog versus the others.
Old 12-23-2004, 03:12 PM

Again, if you 'see AJs and push' when it is folded to you regardless of what the other stacks are at, you are making a big mistake in the context of a Step tourney. Moreover, i the tiny stacks were seated in front of you it would be a much bigger mistake than if they were behind.

You CANNOT answer this question until you know that and if you just look at your cards and the PF raiser you are not playing them correctly.
Old 12-23-2004, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Again, if you 'see AJs and push' when it is folded to you regardless of what the other stacks are at, you are making a big mistake in the context of a Step tourney.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am assuming that with 1200 chips 6xBB, you are not in the top 4. You start out with 1000 chips, so 1200 isn't enough to advance. If you are in 3rd place with 5 players left, then yeh you might want to try to fold into Step 3. However, as a short stack, it doesn't matter. If I see AJs, I am going to push.
Old 12-23-2004, 03:14 PM

For you guys that would "auto-push" here .... I really have a hard time understanding how you play STT. This isnt a MTT you have time, you arent as desperate as you would be in a larger tourney. Be patient and wait for a better spot.