Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2004, 09:34 PM

Default NL books for beginners?

hi!

i'm quite new to poker, i have been playing online for just a few months. i play mostly fixed at the lower limits, but like to play some low buy-in NL cash games, freerolls and sit & go:s as well.

i have bought WLLH, TOP, SSH and HPAP, which all seem to be great books.

what i'd like to add to my small but rapidly growing poker library is a couple of good books on NL holdem. both tourney play and cash games, preferably something useful for a beginner/intermediate player who plays small stakes NL.

i'm thinking of buying harrington's book. will it be too difficult for a beginner? any good book i could read before HOH?

what about mcevoy and cloutiers books? sklanskys TPAP? brunsons supersystem? other suggestions?

thankful for your time. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

niklas
Old 12-23-2004, 09:39 AM

Default Re: NL books for beginners?

surely some of you must have an idea about which NL books are good and not to difficult? help me out please... would HOH be completely over my head? is ciaffones PL&NL poker any good?

i would really appreciate some opinions.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:53 AM

You might want to get by "No-Limit Texas Hold'em: The New Players Guide to Winning Poker's Biggest Game" by Brad Daugherty and Tom McEvoy. I haven't read it, but the general consensus around here seems to be that it's a decent intro book for a beginner. My brother got it and liked it. From what I've read it's almost exclusively geared towards tournaments.
Old 12-26-2004, 05:03 PM

ok, thanks for the advice. anyone else got an opinion?
Old 12-26-2004, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok, thanks for the advice. anyone else got an opinion?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have only read three good books for NL cash games and tournaments. In no particular order,

Pot Limit and No Limit Poker - Ciaffone and Reuben - A good book for cash games, is not specific to hold em but the concepts are generally sound.

Tournament Poker For Advanced Players - Sklansky - Excellent book but is worth reading other books alongside it such as theory of poker.

Harrington on Hold em - Harrington - A superb book that does not offer vanilla plays based on certain situations but talks you through each element you need to consider. If studied I think this will be of most use to you
Old 12-27-2004, 02:45 PM

thanks for your post. actually, i have ordered ciaffone and brier's book from amazon.com and i am planning to order HOH as well (said it shipped in 2-3 weeks, that's why i havent ordered it yet).

why doesn't anyone at 2+2 seem to like mcevoy and cloutier's books?
Old 12-27-2004, 03:01 PM

I concur. For a beginner this is the best choice.
[ QUOTE ]
You might want to get by "No-Limit Texas Hold'em: The New Players Guide to Winning Poker's Biggest Game" by Brad Daugherty and Tom McEvoy. I haven't read it, but the general consensus around here seems to be that it's a decent intro book for a beginner. My brother got it and liked it. From what I've read it's almost exclusively geared towards tournaments.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-27-2004, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I concur. For a beginner this is the best choice.
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I read TPFAP before this but wish I had done it the other way around. I would read TPFAP and HOH before Ciaffone and Reuben. I'm only part way through HOH but it is probably the best poker book that I have read. The way that Harrington takes you through the appropriate thought process is outstanding.