Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2004, 12:10 PM

Default Sklansky Wins WPT Event!

Congrats David!

http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_maga...php?a_id=14430
Old 12-22-2004, 12:13 PM

Default Re: Sklansky Wins WPT Event!

This is bad news for us. Now the WPT watching fish will find out about Sklansky. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

errrr.... I mean congrats David!
Old 12-22-2004, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is bad news for us. Now the WPT watching fish will find out about Sklansky. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Best thing that could've happened for all of us would be for Phil to win, and subsequently come out with another book. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2004, 12:24 PM

Sklansky post-game interview: "thanks Shana, I would like to take this opportunity NOT to thank god. Also, this proves that poker is all math. I would also like to say thank you to DonkeyKong on twoplustwo.com for all his help with helping to understand the game. You know Shana, you are hot."....
Old 12-22-2004, 12:44 PM

I bet is wasn't even close!
Old 12-22-2004, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I bet is wasn't even close!

[/ QUOTE ]

cowboyzfan will let others elaborate.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:24 PM

Bocked from this site at work, would someone please copy the article here?
Old 12-22-2004, 05:02 PM

I always thought David was great. When I heard about this win a few weeks ago via the WPDG meeting, I wasn't surprised.

What so many recreational players and/or cash game players don't realize is the unbelievable luck factor in a single tourney. I guess I didn't even want to believe it myself, until I got into the circuit earlier this year.

I started getting feedback after just a couple of big events, e-mail laced with "you must not be any good, you didn't win anything yet" type ramblings. While I won't debate rather I am "any good" or not, lol, I do know that individual tourneys have an amazing luck factor, as David and other top players have pointed out here time and again.

So David hasn't won a bracelet in a long time, so what? Why should this surprise anyone? He is a cash game player who rarely plays tourneys.

Why is it that someone who plays 300+ major tournaments per year, and wins a couple is considered a "top player," while someone who plays <10 major tourneys per year is considered a "has been" who obviously doesn't have "it" anymore, if he ever had it to begin with.

For those who think certain players don't know how to play poker, they are wrong. But I want them to keep thinking along this vein, so that maybe one day I can win [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2004, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Why is it that someone who plays 300+ major tournaments per year, and wins a couple is considered a "top player," while someone who plays <10 major tourneys per year is considered a "has been" who obviously doesn't have "it" anymore, if he ever had it to begin with.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what you consider "Major" but no way anybody can play in 300 of them in a year. Most Majors take 2 to 5 days some even more to complete.. 365 days.. Hmm ain't possible.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:30 PM

I didn't think it was possible, either. But I just read where someone claimed that he is playing 300+ events per year. Jett, Negreanu? I can't remember who said it, don't quote me (I think they are both great players, btw).

I guess I would consider $500+ events to be considered "major," but that is just relying on the cutoff that someone else gave me earlier this year. I know I couldn't do it. I just started playing in the so-called "major" events this April. I've only played in about 10 so far, and I'm already exhausted, lol.