Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2004, 01:06 PM

Default All In Calls and Flipping Cards

I played in a home tourney last week and there was a situation where I was the lone dissenter of the group.

Heads up, after the flop, a player goes all-in. THe opponent then flips his own cards over, to gauge the reaction of the all-in player.

I thought that exposed cards were declared dead, and in such a situation the hand was declared dead. Everyone else swore that this move was legal, and one even said he had seen it occur on TV.

Ruling?
Old 12-06-2004, 01:57 PM

Default Re: All In Calls and Flipping Cards

They are dead, he has chose to muck them face up.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They are dead, he has chose to muck them face up.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are differing opinions on this. I think many tournaments disallow this, but I think it's more a house rule than anything, as I've seen it done as well, and actually done it myself in a few homegames that allowed it. Since seeing the cards isn't going to change anybody's actions, as the only person to act already knows his cards, I tend to personally lean toward the "no big deal" side of things, but it should at the very least be discussed before he goes and flips them.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:03 PM

I'm not sure if you're the same person who just posted on SA, but it seems you might be.

In a tournament this is not legal. In a cash game it is.

The reason it isn't legal in a tournament is that the outcome of a hand can affect the OTHER players chances of cashing or moving up a spot. In a cash game it only affects the two players in the hand.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:10 PM

this is usually up to house rules

in tournament play, this is now illegal but it *used* to be legal... a famous hand occurred in 1983 between tom mcevoy and amarillo slim (this is probably the hand your friend saw on tv)

mcevoy moved all in on the turn on a board of x6xA, and slim turned over pocket sixes... mcevoy turned over one of his cards which was of course an ace... slim let himself be timed out

incidentally, i think there is some feeling that this rule should be changed back to the way it was - i.e., that you CAN do this to gauge your opponents' reaction

mike