Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2004, 03:52 AM

Default Was I overeager check-raising the turn? (Really boring)

My biggest problem as a player is definately failure to maximize and I wonder if this hand is a symptom of that problem. Is calling the turn with the intention of check-raising the river is a better line? I raised the turn because I figured it would be better to extract bets while I still had the chance. This was my sixth or seventh hand at the table, the only thing that may be close to a read was MP2 had played 7 of 8 hands.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="666666">4 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (3.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls, MP1 folds.

Turn: (2.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls.

River: (6.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB
Old 12-01-2004, 03:57 AM

Default Re: Was I overeager check-raising the turn? (Really boring)

If you can tell me how you would get more by waiting until the river to raise I am all ears...
Old 12-01-2004, 04:05 AM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

You played the hand fine. Yes it's ABC but it needs to be ABC. On the turn you have a made hand that is likely best, whne you put in the raise your opponent will fold hopeless hands, call if he has outs, and likely call with decent but second best hands. He will reraise with better hands.

On the river the number of hands with which he will call a raise with go way down. For example he will call a turn raise with as little as a face card [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] but on the river he would never do that. So you gain more from raising the turn than raising the river.

It becomes correct to raise the river versus a timid player. Someone who will bet the hand but fold to pressure, or will bluff until pressured. In each case it is best to let them put in chips until the river and see if you can capture an extra bet later. In small stakes play I find this situation almost never comes up.
Old 12-01-2004, 04:13 PM

Slavic: Thanks for the reassurance. I am a new player so I consider playing ABC poker as an accomplishment.
Old 12-01-2004, 04:22 PM

i'm actually usually betting out here. against only 2 opponents, i look to win without making my flush better than 1/2 the time, most of which is right then on the flop.

cheers!
Old 12-01-2004, 04:27 PM

Raise the turn. Check-raising the river won't always work as your opponent will often check behind, especially if another [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] falls at the river.
Old 12-01-2004, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My biggest problem as a player is definately failure to maximize

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is definitely not true. That's not an attempt to disparage your game, it's just a fact. You played this hand very well. Look for other places in your game that you're unsure about your actions and post those hands.