Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2004, 11:45 AM

Default Pocket fives -- isolation attempt

CO is very loose and not particularly aggressive preflop but loves to bluff and bluff-raise once the flop comes. I don't have a very good read on BB, unfortunately.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">5 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, CO calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, CO calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

River: (10.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Final Pot: 22.75 BB

What do you think?
Old 11-28-2004, 12:16 PM

Default Re: Pocket fives -- isolation attempt

I think it looks horrible. Why are you not raising that flop? Why are you not raising the turn? And Jesus, why do you start raising when the flush/straight-card hits and not before??

Secondly, why are you trying to isolate with a pair of fives? I think you misplayed basically every street here.
Old 11-28-2004, 12:19 PM

Well, I'll admit, the river card wasn't ideal.

Edit: I may have misplayed this hand horribly. But I think it's important to understand that CO's bets and raises meant nothing.
Old 11-28-2004, 01:42 PM

Would he call with nothing as well? For example, would he call the river with nothing if you 3-bet?

Kludde
Old 11-28-2004, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would he call with nothing as well? For example, would he call the river with nothing if you 3-bet?

Kludde

[/ QUOTE ]

No, with nothing, I think CO would cap or fold instead.

I thought BB might call with a worse hand, though.
Old 11-28-2004, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Edit: I may have misplayed this hand horribly. But I think it's important to understand that CO's bets and raises meant nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

And also to understand that BB's calls meant something.

You're holding bottom set here on a flush/straight board. That's not a hand that I'd 3-bet the river with, especially not with another player calmly calling everything that I and the maniac threw at him. This is a hand that should have been raised &amp; reraised from the flop, but you have to slow down when that 3rd spade shows up on the river--the only hand that BB should have played that way would be a low flush draw, which means that even if you have CO pegged on the bluff/semi-bluff, you're still holding the 2nd best hand.
Old 11-28-2004, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And also to understand that BB's calls meant something.

You're holding bottom set here on a flush/straight board. That's not a hand that I'd 3-bet the river with, especially not with another player calmly calling everything that I and the maniac threw at him. This is a hand that should have been raised &amp; reraised from the flop, but you have to slow down when that 3rd spade shows up on the river--the only hand that BB should have played that way would be a low flush draw, which means that even if you have CO pegged on the bluff/semi-bluff, you're still holding the 2nd best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rightly or wrongly, I thought BB would play top pair this way.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rightly or wrongly, I thought BB would play top pair this way.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have no read on BB. How can you have an idea of how BB would play Top Pair?
Old 11-28-2004, 12:30 PM

Horrible. Just plain horrible.

1) raise the flop. Show some aggression!

2) Raise the turn. What the hell are you waiting for?

3) Thats not a wise raise pre-flop.

4) The river... its a dicey situation, and its one that you may not be in if you played the flop &amp; turn correctly.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2004, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Horrible. Just plain horrible.

1) raise the flop. Show some aggression!

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed

[ QUOTE ]

2) Raise the turn. What the hell are you waiting for?

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed

[ QUOTE ]

3) Thats not a wise raise pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I’m not so sure here. I think the starting plan was good (see above) but Hero never adjusted when it was no longer feasible. If Hero is not capable of adjusting on the fly when a marginal situation doesn’t go as planned then you are right, it isn’t wise to make plays that have a very large probability of going amiss.

[ QUOTE ]

4) The river... its a dicey situation, and its one that you may not be in if you played the flop &amp; turn correctly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that its dicey. I agree he would be a lot better off with better flop and turn play. I don’t think he would of folded out Axs which is what I would most fear from BB. BB could also have virtually any baby flush around the 8, 5 area and not fold. That said I think Hero is still ahead about 30% of the time but through no fault of his own. :-)

TaggedYa