Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2004, 03:28 PM

Default Pitching cards

here's an odd one...what is the technique of pitching cards on the deal? I have seen good dealers who can pitch a Kem card on a hold 'em table (with felt) where it flies right to the player and never flips over. It seems their hand never moves very far from their body yet they have the distance and anccuracy nailed down. I'm sure it comes with experience, but having some basic technique to start seems paramount here. All my attempts usually result in short pitches or flipped cards. My web searches have yielded nothing but dead links.

Any suggestions from seasoned dealers?
thanks...
Old 11-16-2004, 05:40 PM

Default Re: Pitching cards

It's simpler than you think: don't fling the cards like a frisbee; rather, kick them with your middle finger.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:42 PM

Hint: Don't search the internet on how to throw your cards 2 inches to a dealer.

With that being said, you kind of have to use your middle finger and flick it so it gives it some rotation. That's the best way I've learned to do it, you can also clamp the side of the cards with two fingers and just fling it. Just practice..however practicing poker instead of throwing cards usually results in more fun (winning).
Old 11-16-2004, 11:49 PM

Woops. I didn't make myself very clear....

I'm saying as a _dealer_, how do you build that skill to deal cards to players without reaching across the table. I don't mean the discard. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:05 AM

No problem, I'm just playing. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Uhh, just practice? Deal for your home game and take tips, we always assign that job to the person who busts out and has no money left. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2004, 03:14 AM

There is a section in the Professional Poker Dealers Handbook for pitching cards. There is a lot of other good information in this book for dealing, even if you're just dealing a home game.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:17 PM

thanks for the tip. I wasn't aware such a book existed.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:30 AM

At one of our home games w/o a dealer, the people on the ends of the table always flip over card when dealing to the far end (9ft away). Preventing this is all in the middle finger; dont throw the cards with your wrist, flick them with your middle finger.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At one of our home games w/o a dealer, the people on the ends of the table always flip over card when dealing to the far end (9ft away). Preventing this is all in the middle finger; dont throw the cards with your wrist, flick them with your middle finger.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please expatiate. Take the card to be pitched into the hand and flick from hand to table? Flick directly from the top of the deck? Overhand flick or 'sidearm'? Flick the card straight out towards the pitchee, or rotate the card?
Old 11-18-2004, 04:58 PM

It's hard to explain, but I did alot of dealing in our home games and I kind of learned it myself. Take the card lengthwise, like you'd normall hold it. Concentrate on putting spin on the card, so that it doesn't catch air under it and flip over. You don't really want to use your arm when you're throwing the card, you need to be more precise. Use your middle finger while holding it lengthwise and kind of push the small side of the card and give it some spin with your middle finger. Sorry about the bad explination, just keep practicing and remember to keep the card spinning. It won't flip over that way.