Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2004, 04:55 AM

Default I\'m starting my semi-pro career over (help)

i've been playing semi-pro now since spring time. and i would say i've been at least moderately successfull. i've been working 9-5, mon-fri at an office and playing online a few hours every night and quite a bit on weekends. i would say i do about 25 hours a week on average. some weeks with much more, some weeks with much less. i've pumped my bankroll up from basically nothing to a little over 6300. during that time poker has paid for my computer, tv, and almost every other furnishing that has gone into what was an empty apartment. if you want the back story, it's here.
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...art=1&vc=1

but now i've made the decision that i've got to use my BR to get a car. i've gone 5 years without one and that's just too long. my commute is going to become more complicated come this monday and i don't want to deal with busses much longer. the 2 hours a day i'm spending getting to work and back is too much. the bankroll plus a little i have saved should get me something nice and dependable that will last me a while. the apartment has gone from bare to liveable (though barely so) and the car is the piece that's missing from a normal person's life. once i've got it then my earnings from poker don't all have to be immediately spent or earmarked for things that i need and i can start saving for tuition. is there anyone out there who can stake me the money to get started? i'm using all 6300 and a little extra on a car in the 7000 to 8000 range, and frankly it's going to leave me very little. i'm going to start at the very bottom. multitabling the party .5/1 game, and over time working my way back to the 5/10 and 10/20 games. so it would be a investment of 300 with a 100 percent return. relatively it's not a lot of money, but it would get me started again. and i'm willing to put in a ton of hours initially to build a new BR. if i'm not able to get staked then i'll probably have to wait two or more paychecks to get the extra cash to start up again. especially with the new bills like gas and insurance that come with a car.

since a lot of my goals have been reached (the car being the biggest) there's little pressure behind this go round to do anything quickly. and money earned is now income rather cash needed for a microwave. my place could definitely use some more things, but the essentials have been taken care of. shot in the dark, but maybe someone can help. please don't ridicule. thanks.
Old 10-27-2004, 05:10 AM

Default Re: I\'m starting my semi-pro career over (help)

what do you figure the timeframe on this is?
Old 10-27-2004, 05:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what do you figure the timeframe on this is?

[/ QUOTE ]

hadn't thought too much about it, but starting out at the .5/1 game and playing a lot to start(40hr/wk) and figuring conservatively at 1BB/hr and 4 tables...

comes to $4/hr x 40/wk= $160/wk figuring conservatively. so a couple weeks to earn the initial amount back plus a few more to earn the return. not too long.
Old 10-27-2004, 05:12 AM

check your PM's
Old 10-27-2004, 05:35 AM

Mabye just get a car in the 6700 to 7700 range? Frankly I'm confused about how you can't hold five percent of your roll over to rebuild.
Old 10-27-2004, 05:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mabye just get a car in the 6700 to 7700 range?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate you for beating me to that exact sentence.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mabye just get a car in the 6700 to 7700 range?

[/ QUOTE ]

Or, get a $1000 car, stay at 5/10 and 10/20, and after two months of paychecks and poker winnings you should be able to afford the car you want.

You could also consider one of those fancy car loan thingys.
Old 10-27-2004, 05:50 AM

You are either the dumbest person alive or completely full of crap.
Old 10-27-2004, 05:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

both
Old 10-27-2004, 05:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That was actualy my second choice as well.