Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2004, 10:12 PM

Default Negreanu takes the whole pot when it should\'ve been split

I was reading the Nov issue of FHM on the crapper and turned to a big poker article. Basically Negreanu is all in short stacked vs an amateur and they both have a ten high straight, however the amateur (and dealer too apparently) both missed the fact that the pot was split so Negreanu takes the whole thing knowing it should've been split.

BTW, there was that same pro "tip" from Hellmuth about only playing the top 10 hands in the same article. -_-
Old 10-21-2004, 10:24 PM

Default Re: Negreanu takes the whole pot when it should\'ve been split

He's written about that hand in one of his Card Player columns.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:55 AM

Hmmmm, I remember hearing about a hand where the board read something like JJ4A4 or something like that, and at the end Daniel said "I have jacks and fours" and his opponent mucked his cards and Daniel took down the whole pot or something. Maybe this is the same hand, but I thought I remembered it being 2 pair. Pretty funny in my opinion.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:09 AM

The dealer didn't miss anything. The amateur mucked his cards and no one saw what he had.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:14 AM

There was a ten high straight on the board, when they both checked, Daniel had something like A4, rolled his cards and said "straight". The other player looked at his own cards, looked a t the board, then DN's cards, and folded.
Old 10-22-2004, 12:55 PM

i once played a seasoned experienced player in an arizona cardroom years ago when i was still a total fish.

He was raising into me like crazy, and i kept calling. I had KQ, and after calling all the way to river with a board of J9833, with a flush draw for me that didnt hit, he checked the river behind me. I thought for sure he had AA the way he was playing preflop and raising. So he then asks me what i got, and i said was "aces win it" meaning HIS aces will win.

Before i even show my cards down mucked his cards disgustingly into the pile. i then turn over my KQ, and he freaks out because he tossed QQ. Dealer syas its too late, he mucked his hand.....floorman comes over and verifies what happened and decides the same thing.

He said all he heard was aces and mucked his hand.

Taught me a very important lesson that day, but thankfully not at my expense.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i once played a seasoned experienced player in an arizona cardroom years ago when i was still a total fish.

He was raising into me like crazy, and i kept calling. I had KQ, and after calling all the way to river with a board of J9833, with a flush draw for me that didnt hit, he checked the river behind me. I thought for sure he had AA the way he was playing preflop and raising. So he then asks me what i got, and i said was "aces win it" meaning HIS aces will win.

Before i even show my cards down mucked his cards disgustingly into the pile. i then turn over my KQ, and he freaks out because he tossed QQ. Dealer syas its too late, he mucked his hand.....floorman comes over and verifies what happened and decides the same thing.

He said all he heard was aces and mucked his hand.

Taught me a very important lesson that day, but thankfully not at my expense.

[/ QUOTE ]

what an idiot...he mucks his cards to chatter?
Old 10-22-2004, 01:24 PM

Speaking technically I believe intentionally miscalling a hand (not that you did, but I could see how he could misinterperet your words) is cause to forfit the pot.
I'm sorry, I can't remember where I read this but I do recall it from somewhere credible.
Feel free to correct me as I am curious to know the truth here.

Cody
Old 10-22-2004, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Speaking technically I believe intentionally miscalling a hand (not that you did, but I could see how he could misinterperet your words) is cause to forfit the pot.
I'm sorry, I can't remember where I read this but I do recall it from somewhere credible.
Feel free to correct me as I am curious to know the truth here.

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

Everywhere I have played the cards speak.
Old 10-22-2004, 04:52 PM

Likely from Robert's Rules of Poker:

"Cards speak (cards read for themselves). The dealer assists in reading hands, but players are responsible for holding onto their cards until the winner is declared. Although verbal declarations as to the contents of a hand are not binding, deliberately miscalling a hand with the intent of causing another player to discard a winning hand is unethical and may result in forfeiture of the pot."

J5