Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2004, 01:53 AM

Default Hand from super tuesday on the bubble

This one kind of bothered me, I think I made the correct move but would like to know how you would handle it:

77 players remaining top 70 get paid, blinds 300/600, you sit 3 off button with Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], you have 3640 chips. MP puts in a minimum raise to 1200, no read on MP as you were recently transfered to this table, whats your play? Results will follow...

-Brad
Old 10-20-2004, 02:03 AM

Default Re: Hand from super tuesday on the bubble

I would push all in here every time. In my opinion it is your only option with the blinds so big relative to your stack size. Raising anything less than all in pot commits you anyway. I think just calling would be wrong because in this case you want all your money in while you have the best hand; don't let a hand like KJ hit a cheap flop. Folding is definetly not an option here. If he has aces or kings, so be it.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:12 AM

I hate just trying to hang on to make the money, you are playing the hand and you are making it expensive. Since that is decided then the only thing left is to decide how expensive do you make it, and that answer is just as simple. You have to push in here, any other raise pot-commits you, you are married to those queens in that spot.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:33 AM

Yeah, just call with QT suited sometimes, maybe they have a low pocket pair.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:09 AM

If he were in EP...I would possibly think he could have AA or KK.

But with him being in middle position, he's obviously not trying to steal.

Gotta push.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If he were in EP...I would possibly think he could have AA or KK.

But with him being in middle position, he's obviously not trying to steal.

[/ QUOTE ]
Um... What? This most certainly can be a steal, he has no reads on the player, and you see this raise quite often with mediocre hands by players on party. Although he probably had aces, kings, or ak (otherwise why would this be posted?) I would take that min raise to be a sign of weakness very often.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:10 PM

Weakness? Or caution? or deceit? I've only been looking at this site for about a week--my early opinion is that an awful lot of the people who post here tend to 1) underestimate and 2) not believe their opponents!
Old 10-20-2004, 09:46 AM

Not even close.

If you just call you are giving up all of your folding equity (if you have any to start with only 6BB's in your stack), and you are asking to be out-flopped.

Push all in, if you get called by an inferior hand and they win, that's poker, cards happen, move on, start a new tourney.

If you get called by a superior hand, see above paragraph.

It sucks playing for 3hrs and not cashing, but to me playing 3 1/2 hrs and cashing at the first level feels almost as hollow.

If you have a really small BR and you won your way into the Super in a sat., and your mortage is overdue and your credit card company has you on speed dial, then you might be able to make a case for folding if 1st level $$$ buys you another month with your creditors, otherwise push.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 10-20-2004, 10:27 AM

Push
Old 10-20-2004, 01:34 PM

Default RESULTS

Yeah I knew i needed to push and of course I did, button who had been running great all night called as did MP. Flop comes all low 2 diamonds, checked around, K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] hits on turn and button bets pot, now i know im in trouble, MP folds, button turns over A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and turn comes 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] neither completeing my flush nor tripping my Q and i go out 77th. I knew it was the right thing to do but was simply wondering if anyone would ever call there putting raiser on AK and then bet the low flop to push him off the hand once his odds of making a hand against a PP go down considerably. Suppose it would not have mattered because button would have made me play for my stack anyway, just bad time for the cards not to hit. Anyway thanks for the input.

-Brad