Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2004, 01:09 AM

Default Paul Phillips what is he getting at about online poker, and which one?

he wrote this on his journal

"online poker risks

Let's say a person owed another person a substantial amount of money. The latter person holds an ownership position at a major online poker site, and after finding out that the debtor had a large sum of money on deposit there, transferred the money owed without obtaining permission.

How would you feel about the site after hearing that?"

seems like hearsay but Paul doesn't seem like the type to gossip. Anyone know who the parties involves are and if there is any credibility of such a thing happening?

doesn't really affect me but prima poker has already kept some of my money until they deem my picture ID, and utility bill are to their liking then I can cashout the last of my money. Eventhough I've cashed out of there hundreds of times before and now they have a weird policy with picture ID and utility bill. I'm starting to lean towards keeping less and less money in said accounts.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:14 AM

Default Re: Paul Phillips what is he getting at about online poker, and which one?

I think that this isn't quite that big of a deal considering the person wasn't paying up the cash even though he had it, and he simply did what was necessary to get it back.

I'm not really that worried about it.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:21 AM

Default Re: Paul Phillips what is he getting at about online poker, and which

It opens up a whole can of worms. What if the site owner freeze your account after you knock him out in WSOP (and say something sarcastic) etc. If you are the owner you have to separate private from business. What if the owner got himself in a tough spot and decided to borrow money from customers? He would have every possibility to do so if he can do this.

But I can definately understand the frustration of collecting a bad debt from a gambler. At least this way is better than having bikers smash his knees, I guess.

It sounds like a Full Tilt drama. It's the only poker room I can imagine where player/owners would have access to these things.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It opens up a whole can of worms. What if the site owner freeze your account after you knock him out in WSOP (and say something sarcastic) etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or how about we are sitting at the same table at the WSOP and I accidentally blink and it offends him...........

We don't even know the details of this. What if the guy had been incredibly dodgy about paying up in the past, and constantly lying about how much money he had and could afford to pay back?
Old 10-13-2004, 01:34 AM

"It sounds like a Full Tilt drama. It's the only poker room I can imagine where player/owners would have access to these things."

Nah, they're just the only site where (some) ownership is totally out in the open. This could happen anywhere. Plus, I'm not sure how many are really keeping large bankrolls on Full Tilt.

-Michael
Old 10-13-2004, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Plus, I'm not sure how many are really keeping large bankrolls on Full Tilt.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was what I was thinking. Also I'd be suprised to find out that HL, Juanda, Jesus (just listing off some names, not possible suspects) had such access to peoples accounts.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:40 AM

naw can't be full tilt as it makes no sense to keep a big roll at a site with no games. I like the place but it's a ghost town.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:58 AM

Speculation is it's PokerStars...
Old 10-13-2004, 01:28 AM

Default Re: Paul Phillips what is he getting at about online poker, and which one?

yeah it's kind of a gray area but I figure a poker site/operator would not step into such areas due to a slippery slope type affair. I'm sure there are better ways to obtain back debt than to simply take money from a person's poker account without informing them. Eventhough it maybe "owed" to them.

Seems like Paul maybe too out spoken as this may burn another bridge like his feud with Binions on appropriations of fee and tips (he was right) and him speaking out about the pokerstars cruise tip fiasco (he was also right).
Old 10-13-2004, 02:53 AM

please enlighten me as to these controversies.

thanks.