Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2004, 04:49 PM

Default Pocket Kings vs the dreaded minraise

Here's another pocket pair hand I had. Table was relatively normal, I had only seen about 10 hands so far. I got blown off a big hand just a few hands ago, so I'm not sure if the table saw me as weak. Here I thought I had the best hand, but the minraise caught me off guard.

Paradise Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (10 handed)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

CO ($38.00)
Button ($51.30)
SB ($45.67)
BB ($10.40)
UTG ($22.70)
UTG+1 ($35.75)
UTG+2 ($7.93)
<font color="C00000">Hero ($25.00)</font>
MP2 ($8.75)
<font color="C00000">MP3 ($24.10)</font>

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.10. BB posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls $0.25, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $1.3</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $1.30, CO folds, Button folds, SB (poster) folds, BB folds, UTG+2 folds.

Flop: ($3.20) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $2.6</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises to $5.2</font>, Hero calls $2.60.

Turn: ($13.60) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises to $10</font>, Hero calls $5.

River: ($33.60) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 checks.

Final Pot: $33.60

On the flop I was so confused by the minraise that I just called. I'm thinking I should have reraised there, but I thought the minraise might mean a set or straight.

When the turn hit I was still confused and somehow decided that he didn't have anything. I was still off guard though and couldn't figure out whether to lead out or try to checkraise. I was afraid of him having an ace and getting a free card, so I bet out. I couldn't decide how much to bet though, a smallish bet so that I could get away if he reraised all-in, or a more pot-sized bet.

So mainly, should I have come over the top on the flop? Since I got scared and just called should I have bet more on the turn, maybe $10? Or should I have checked?

When he minraised the turn, I was too confused to do anything but call and cross my fingers. I couldn't decide if he had a straight, a set, a big pocket pair, or if he just sensed weakness.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:56 PM

Default Re: Pocket Kings vs the dreaded minraise

Why did you raise preflop such an odd amount?
Old 10-12-2004, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why did you raise preflop such an odd amount?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was because of the slider. I was trying to make it either $1.00 or $1.25 but had to settle for $1.30. Right now I can't remember if there was a text box or not.
Old 10-12-2004, 06:33 PM

He probably would not have called the raise with 2's or 3's, A4s and definately not 64s - so you should probably rule out the straight and the set unless he has 5's, which is all that you should really concern yourself with. You may or may not know if he is the type of player who would call a raise like that with 5's. The more likely holding would be an overpair to the 5. A bad player may try to draw to overcards with something like AK or AQ, but would not raise, and almost any player would re-raise you pre-flop w/ AA. Also, the raise is not enough to be a bluff, IMHO. Looks to me like an overpair that he is trying to protect, and he hopes that you bet out with something like AK to try and pick it up right there. My suggestion - definately re-raise him on the flop. If he goes all-in right there or on the turn, then you could probably put him on a set, unless he's a real sneaky **ck.

-Dan
Old 10-13-2004, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The more likely holding would be an overpair to the 5.

[/ QUOTE ]

Remind me never to play against you. He flipped over 88 and I took it down. Looks like I should have reraised him on the flop.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:23 PM

The logic in Chipman's breakdown is no real leap. To improve your game, always think about WHAT you are accomplishing by your given action and what the other players will REASONABLY do given their playing styles. People like Gus Hanson for example is the extreme case that departs from this logic. However, most players have a list of finite moves pinned to their shirts - especially when they are REACTIVE and not PROACTIVE. You raised, he reacted and called, flop comes and you checked - HE REACTED BASED ON THE FINITE LIST OF MOVES THAT A TYPICAL PLAYER WOULD DO WHO CALLED A PRE-FLOP RAISE AND GOT CHECKED TO HEADS-UP (not meant as a scream). In fact, that is the ONLY move someone who called the raise and got checked to would do unless they are not aggressive and only have overcards.
Old 10-14-2004, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
flop comes and you checked - HE REACTED BASED ON THE FINITE LIST OF MOVES THAT A TYPICAL PLAYER WOULD DO WHO CALLED A PRE-FLOP RAISE AND GOT CHECKED TO HEADS-UP

[/ QUOTE ]

I led out on the flop for 3/4 of the pot and he minraised me.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:04 PM

Exactly, he probably put you on AK or AQ trying to take it right there and figured his 8's were the best hand at that point. He then raised you at the turn since he thought that the $5 bet was only a stab at the pot.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:58 AM

jamrk

Looks like he sees a weak flop bet and raises for two reasons....

He probably has an Ax hand and is hoping to hit the straight or the over card.

Perhaps even push you off your hand if he is not smart enough to raise more.

My guess is he has Ax

jw
Old 10-13-2004, 12:33 PM

Not having any read on the player, I can't say. There are some players I have encountered who would bet that way with 44 or 66 or 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. There are others who would do it with AT, but I think most players would have bet on the river with that. A player with higher preflop requirements might bet that way with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] than any of the previous hands I mentioned.

Given that he checked the river, he probably didn't flop a set. I think he also would have bet with AA-JJ. If I had to put him on a hand, I would say he had a straight draw on the flop and picked up a flush draw on the turn and missed both as that seems to be a common hand when someon min-raises on the flop and turn then checks the river. So, A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]x[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. ( I can't see him having the 6 unless he also has either the A or the 7).