Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2004, 11:42 AM

Default I hate losing!!!! - anyone with me?

no matter how well i run, as soon as i hit a losing session, i feel terrible! does anyone feel the same? it's like if you win 10 in a row, it's no big deal. but if you lose the 11th session (day), you feel like you want to slap everyone on the tables (could be as many as 100!) and beat the dealers up.

it's not even so much that the bad beats bother me. it's things like - fish OPEN limps with AKs on button, i call with J8o in SB, BB checks, flop 832r, i check, BB bets, Btn raises, i 3bet, BB folds, Btn caps! turn A, i bet he raises, river blank i check and he checks! i vomit.

i mean what the fuch was he doing??? open limp with AKs? then go to war when flop nothing? check the river???

at 200 hand mark, i was winning 4% on one site and 1% on the other! all night long my win% is around 6%!

oh well, maybe i didn't really eliminate losing sessions like i would tend to fantasize...

ok, that's enough! now back to reality. let me keep this 9-5 job for a little longer [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

good luck everyone,

Kenny
Old 10-08-2004, 11:47 AM

Default Re: I hate losing!!!! - anyone with me?

Kenny,

for someone who plays as much as you do, you have a terrible attitude towards the game.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Kenny,

for someone who plays as much as you do, you have a terrible attitude towards the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. but needed to vent. now you make me feel ashamed [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Kenny
Old 10-08-2004, 12:15 PM

I too hate to lose!!

It actually doesn't affect me that much anymore; my ego is finally getting good at accepting the losing sessions.

Your statement reminded me of something though which will probably be of zero interest [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I played professional volleyball for a few years and one of my good friends who played as well would refuse to play bad players during the week (during training). His explanation: if he wins; big deal. If he loses to a hack...it's gonna hurt (even though the chance of losing to a hack would have been less than 2% probably).

When you expect to win; the win brings very little satisfaction (for me at least).

The payoff from beating people you should beat does not equate to the pain from losing to someone you shouldn't lose to. (at poker; you have to expect losses since there is luck involved...i'm mainly talking sports etc.)
Old 10-08-2004, 01:47 PM

To continue an off the topic discussion...
[ QUOTE ]
I played professional volleyball for a few years

[/ QUOTE ]

I am assuming outdoor? Were you on the tour? Volleyball is a passion of mine that is almost greater than poker. Sorry to digress.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:53 PM

Agreed (with Bison). And I believe it is extremely likely that this attitude is effecting your game and decisions.

Idiots do idiot-things. In the long-run you are going to be a winning player if you play correctly. In the short-run you will have losing hands and losing sessions where you were +EV.

Why should it bother you so much that an idiot plays like an idiot and occasionally wins a hand?
I don't get it.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:08 PM

When I used to play Magic the Gathering it used to drive me nuts when I would lose to inferior players. I'm a polite fellow so i wouldn't throw a Hellmuthian tantrum, but I would seethe inside. I now have a much better attitude, though a bunch of bad beats in a row still can set me off. I have to take a few min away from the computer and remember that in the long run they will pay me off.

I still do hate losing though but you gotta take the good with the bad I guess and deal with it because even a great winning player still only has a relatively small advantage in this game.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I used to play Magic the Gathering it used to drive me nuts when I would lose to inferior players. I'm a polite fellow so i wouldn't throw a Hellmuthian tantrum, but I would seethe inside. I now have a much better attitude, though a bunch of bad beats in a row still can set me off. I have to take a few min away from the computer and remember that in the long run they will pay me off.

I still do hate losing though but you gotta take the good with the bad I guess and deal with it because even a great winning player still only has a relatively small advantage in this game.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are right. i sometimes take a break after 1hr or 2hr when things are running bad. but usually not because of bad beats, just bad luck in general.

but sometimes, i get so caught up, i refuse to break. that's what i need to work on i guess.

thanks,

Kenny
Old 10-08-2004, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Agreed (with Bison). And I believe it is extremely likely that this attitude is effecting your game and decisions.

Idiots do idiot-things. In the long-run you are going to be a winning player if you play correctly. In the short-run you will have losing hands and losing sessions where you were +EV.

Why should it bother you so much that an idiot plays like an idiot and occasionally wins a hand?
I don't get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh sorry to have mislead you. getting bad beat don't bother me. nor does the bad player playing bad. i was just trying to vent some frustration (temporary).

btw, fwiw, i didn't lose more than a few hundred playing 8 tables of 15/30. so it's no big deal.

also i am exploring 10-tabling and higher these days, hopefully that will take my mind off the beats even quicker.

i guess i am just too spoiled.

thanks for the feedback,

Kenny
Old 10-08-2004, 05:17 PM

Agreed. If anybody is going to take my money, I want it to be idiots only.

One thing losing to someone with really weird or stupid play does, too, is give me something to make valuable and precise notes on. If I look at my Pokertracker stats on him, I may get further confirmation that he's someone I should consider for a fish or maniac list or even put on my buddy list. At any rate, I start watching him more carefully for confirmation that his play is consistently really loose or strange or incorrect, and before you know it I may have found that there is someone who I can shamelessly follow around for days or weeks and make money off of. (Though I try not to show up every possible time at the table of a "buddy" -- I don't want them to start noticing how often I'm around and get jumpy about it.)

Losing a hand or a bunch of hands to someone is never fun, but sometimes it cues you in to a valuable resource you will make a lot of money on over time, so there's reason to take a positive attitude about it if you can.

I try to think that if there's one guy I want happy on the table, it's the idiot. I'd rather he took someone else's money than mine to get him happy, but I definitely want him happy and want him to keep playing. Playing long enough that I get my money back many, many times over, or he bleeds money into another fish who can dump cash on me. I LIKE that his bad moves get reinforced by winning sometimes, even though I wouldn't mind if he got his cash off someone else but me.