Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2004, 03:30 PM

Default Best play of my life last night... I think

NL 5/5 blinds, max buy in 500$ but most have stacks around 1k. I have 1.3K. I straddle to 10$ (common for this table), 4 people call, sb calls. 6 to the flop, 65$. I have the 94 of clubs.

Flop comes 933 one club. Check to me, I check to see what happens. I don't really want to get involved in this nothing pot, but often I'll throw out a near pot-sized bet here, pick up the pot, and move on. Anyway, I decide to check here. It gets checked all the way around.

Turn comes the king of clubs, board K933 two clubs. Again, I check. I seriously considered betting but was getting a funny feeling from a weak tight on my left who saw the king and then checked his hole cards. LAG now bets out 50, and the weak tight raises to 150$. All fold to me and I muck getting about 5:3 on my call. LAG has me covered and weak tight has about 1K. LAG reraises to 400 and weak tight calls.

River comes another nine. [censored]. LAG moves all in. Weak tight considers for 5 min and mucks. LAG shows K9 for 9's full of kings. Wow. I play good.

In all seriousness though, even though I escaped losing my whole stack (if I see the river I think I lose the stack), I can make serious arguments for betting/raising the flop or turn. And if I bet at any point, I get committed, I see the river, and I lose my whole stack. Ie, if I bet the flop for 50$, I get called by LAG. Once the turn comes my hand improves- I bet again, and he either raises me with top two, or calls again. Unless he raises me an obscene amount on the turn I see the river. And once I do that I go broke. Similar comments could be made if I checked the flop but then decided to bet the turn with my top pair/flush draw.

I was so happy with the way I played this and the avoided outcome, but in retrospect on a different day, with a different read, I could easily bet the flop or turn. All comments appreciated.

Leon
Old 09-26-2004, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Best play of my life last night... I think

No offense, but you're being very results oriented. Your play was fine, because your hand was never very strong to begin with. Top pair no kicker with a pair on the board will only get you into trouble.

Don't get caught up in thinking you made a good play just because had you stayed in you would have lost your stack.

Good luck,
Justin A
Old 09-26-2004, 04:42 PM

Wait. . .

You folded 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on a 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] board after a bet and a raise!

Seriously, if that is the best play of your life then you either A) don't play much poker or B) suck.
Old 09-26-2004, 04:50 PM

Edited because of an utter lack of content
Old 09-26-2004, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Edited because of an utter lack of content

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a rather ironic post.

Justin A
Old 10-01-2004, 01:53 PM

Good lord I wish I could do that in real life.....
Old 09-26-2004, 05:04 PM

i agree with the other posters....no offence

you can't look at what happened after you folded and call your fold an amazing play...all that matters is the situation leading up to the fold...

and the one thing that kind of scared me with what you said is 'And if I bet at any point, I get committed, I see the river, and I lose my whole stack.'.....considering your big stack, how can you say you would be pot committed with a simple flop bet? your holding isnt that great and you are out of position...if you bet on the flop and/or turn and get raised a decent amount, i would hope you would be willing to lay it down.....esp. if two other players stay in...at that point you don't even know if your flush draw is the best draw, and you are chasing a flush with a pair on board against big action (never a good idea)
Old 09-26-2004, 07:10 PM

Arkose, see my reply for more. But as I said, I'm not necessarily committed. It's just potentially easy to be. If I bet 50$ on the flop, 50$ on the turn and get raised 50$, that's something I can call. If LAG pushes on the turn I can fold. But if I see the river I think I'm committed against LAG. I think almost every other poster here would be too.

Leon
Old 09-26-2004, 07:14 PM

with a bet and a raise from a weak tighty, you may already be looking at a boat with the pair on board...

Easy easy muck. I would never call here.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:06 PM

In response to the replies so far-

Obviously it wasn't a tough fold on the turn. The reason I feel I could have been trapped was the combo of the loose aggressive, and a potentially small bet/raise which I could conceivably call. Say I had led at the turn for 50. I get popped by LAG for 150. For the sake of argument let's say weak tight folds, which is certainly possible. It's 100 more to me, in a 250$ pot when I have a flush draw and a pair. Clearly I don't put much value on the pair but it does add some value to my hand. Point is, if the raise was small enough I could easily see the river, or potentially try and put a move on this guy and reraise. There were many places where I could have gotten trapped but didn't, which is what I was happy about.

A question about the flop too- I would hope there are many people who would throw out a bet in this spot, pick up a small pot, and move on. In fact that's usually a default play. If I get called on the flop, I probably make a decent sized bet on the turn given the flush card. If that gets flat called I see the river and I'm dead.

I agree with all who said it's not a tough fold. It wasn't for me either. I'm just found all the potential trap spots pretty interesting. And for those who think I suck, well... read my bio. I've made more than my fair share from this game. Granted I could still suck though.

Thanks

Leon