Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2004, 03:14 AM

Default Should I buy the original Super System?

With SS 2 coming out, does it make sense to buy the original or should I just wait. I primarily play HE (limit and NL) and have all of the 2+2 books.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:20 AM

Default Re: Should I buy the original Super System?

My personal opinion is that you should bypass this book, especially with SS2 coming out. Much of the material is outdated, especially the no-limit section. The limit section is solid, but much more detailed information is found in the books offered by 2+2. Other games covered are lowball, 7 card stud, draw poker, and hi-low split.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Much of the material is outdated, especially the no-limit section. The limit section is solid, but much more detailed information is found in the books offered by 2+2.

[/ QUOTE ]

WRONG!!! The NL section is still the gold standard, but the only other section in the book that is still of any value is the 7 Card Stud section.
Old 09-26-2004, 02:53 PM

Hi MEbenhoe:

I disagree, but you also happen to be right. The no limit section in SS was written for cash games at a full table. If you play in these games today like it describes, the best players should trap you for all your money.

However, no limit tournaments is a very different animal. That's because the blinds and antes are going up all the time. Now, especially after the early stages of a tournament, to be successful, you need to use a strategy much more in line with what is described in Super/System. It will be very interesting to compare the no limit section in SS to SS2.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 09-26-2004, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, no limit tournaments is a very different animal. That's because the blinds and antes are going up all the time. Now, especially after the early stages of a tournament, to be successful, you need to use a strategy much more in line with what is described in Super/System. It will be very interesting to compare the no limit section in SS to SS2.

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]
Mason, get out of my head! [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

I have been telling that exact quote to people for a long time, but no one really believed it. We must be on the same wavelength.

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2004, 11:43 AM

That's gonna be hard to say, since none of us have read the unreleased book yet. None of us that I know of, anyhow.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:56 PM

It's the book that has been sold the most, at Amazon for example. The number one poker book for the last 20 years or so, should you get it? In case you ever play seven card stud the basics are there (the 2+2 is just a copy), and draw poker is well covered there. PL omaha is not there. Limit holdem chapter is badly outdated (so is everything at the moment, there not being one poker text outside of Abdul that would not be outdated, and even that is partly outdated and incomplete) just having some good general holdem information, while the no-limit holdem is outdated too but at shorthanded games from some part and with some corrections for strategy, it has stuff to teach, but for full ring especially not nearly as good as the Cloutier book (the best book written about big bet holdem) that though favors only tight play that's not the only way to play this game (when you can run the opponent/s over).
Old 09-26-2004, 02:48 PM

Hi mikimaus:

I really disagree with most of what you write. Our stud book is certainly not a copy of what's in Super/System, if you were to play no limit as SS describes in full ring games (for which it was written for) the best players should eventually trap you for all your money, and our books on limit hold 'em are certainly not out of date. Also, I don't recommend anything by Cloutier even though his pot limit/no limit book is marginally okay.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 09-26-2004, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I don't recommend anything by Cloutier even though his pot limit/no limit book is marginally okay.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd say this is an overly nice statement [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2004, 10:27 PM

For those who are interested, amazon.com is taking pre-orders on the Super System 2 for 23.77 (32% off currently). It was full price last week, so this drop/reduction is very recent.