Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2004, 11:29 PM

Default 15/30 Question

This is kind of a general question and a specific question. Do you slow down / fold the turn when your read means you just fell behind on the turn big time? The hand went down like this.

CO was playing fairly well showing down good hands since I sat down. the BB in this hand was pretty much a donkey.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, MP folds, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls, CO calls.

Flop: (12.66 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

I put him on AA at this point.

Turn: (10.83 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Sigh, do I just call here?
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls.

River: (19.83 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Crying call.

Final Pot: 21.83 BB

CO has Ad Ah (full house, aces full of sixes).
Hero has Qh Qd (full house, queens full of sixes).
Outcome: CO wins 21.83 BB.

Do I just lose a lot of bets in this situation or should I have just called the turn and then call again on the river river?
Old 09-26-2004, 12:47 AM

Default Re: 15/30 Question

So you think there's no chance of the CO playing exactly the same way with AQ? I think there is.

FWIW, I would play your QQ exactly the same way you did.
Old 09-26-2004, 12:50 AM

Thats what i'm saying my frist read on his hand would be AA. I thought he played AA kinda strange limping in CO 6 handed and all. There are other hands they he could have in this spot. But the two strange 3 bets made me think he had AA exactly. Should I be going with my initial read or just play it the way I did?
Old 09-26-2004, 03:02 AM

Here is what I see for what its worth. He limp reraised you, which usually means a big pair, and usually aces, especially with his limp from the cutoff(hes afraid of raising and not getting any action) The way he played the flop, i would say he flopped a set of Q's, except you have them, so unless hes giving all this action with a 55 or 66, youre good, because he has to have a higher overpair.

With the turn ace, there is no way you can possibly 3 bet. You think hes going to raise the turn with KK there, with the ace on board? It has to be aces, unless he is nuts, and has 55 or 66, which is very unlikely. In a live game, I might even muck, but on Party, you have to give a crying call I think. Reraising opens yourself up to a 4 from the nuts, and a fold by a maniac.
Old 09-26-2004, 11:12 AM

Personally, I would slow down on the turn as I would have about 85% confidence that the CO had AA. Still, you missed a bet on the flop. I would have capped it and it is not close.

Sadly, this is one of those hands you're going to lose big unless, by some miracle, you don't play.
Old 09-26-2004, 12:16 PM

what JayKon said. he missed a bet pre flop and you missed a bet on the flop. oherwise, you have to pay him off.
Old 09-26-2004, 12:44 PM

Def. slow down sooner on the turn.