Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2004, 10:18 PM

Default Good Stud Play?

PP 1/2 Stud Hi
Sorry, can't remember it exactly.

I'm dealt (810) J , all spades. Low card brings in for .5, everybody to me calls, I call, player to my left raises to 1, entire table calls, I raise it to $2

There's only 1 or 2 other spade showing. My thinking is to make this pot huge that people will call me down and I will get paid off greatly with a flush.

Obviously, this would been bettter with the Ace of Spades, none or 1 other spade showing... but meh. Just wondering if this play has any +EV?

BTW, ended up not catching and folding. Winner had Ace high flush of Spades!
Old 09-23-2004, 12:16 AM

Default Re: Good Stud Play?

With no spades out, I like the raise a lot. With one spade out, it's still pretty good. With two out, it ain't so hot. I don't mind playing the hand for a full bet, but having two out makes it significantly less likely that you will like your hand on fourth street.

I hate it when there is another player drawing to my flush. Be thankful you didn't both get there.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:04 PM

Unless you think it might get someone to fold to you later (relatively unlikely in the usual PP 1-2 game as I remember them), I'd not raise again here. You may have to fold on the next card, and these players usually tend not to fold anyway so tying them on to the pot has less value.
Old 09-23-2004, 04:02 PM

I've been playing Party 1-2 6-max and it's still the way you remember it. That said, I agree with you here. No one is going to fold to the raise, the hand is not likely to make top pair or top two pair, so a draw is the only way to win. I'd call a raise on 3rd, maybe call on 4th even with a blank depending on the board, then see where I am on 5th.
In a tighter game, the raise might set up a good steal opportunity but not at Party 1/2.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:54 PM

Any raise on third is not intended to get anyone to fold, nor is it intended to set up a steal. It is a raise for value.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:19 AM

Andy, that's simply not true. In some games a raise on third can position you to take the pot on fourth or fifth. But in this situation it would be a value raise only, because that is unlikely to be true. And I don't think he has enough value here, especially with the dead cards (as you noted earlier, I think).
Old 09-24-2004, 01:26 PM

I see three to a straight flush with one(19%) or two(15%) spades out, 7 players and only one raise, I'm happy to call and take one or two off. If the 8J10 and 7Q9(6K) are also pretty live, that's a strong hand. A raise has to be +EV. Still, it might be a little early to value bet a med-low three flush.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:38 PM

if i had a nickel for every time there was a hand posted here where you and i disagreed and i advocated a more aggressive position and you were more conservative id be able to play in the WSOP next year [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pat
Old 09-25-2004, 08:38 AM

What exactly is "simply not true"? I call raising with a live three-flush in a multi-way pot a value raise, and you counter me by saying it's a value raise. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] If his hand isn't live, though, it's a bad play however you look at it.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:35 PM

i think you are missing a key point here: this is a raise for value not for stealing or to get others to fold.

Pat