Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2004, 11:40 PM

Default Too Aggressive with the rockets... just wondering

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP ($50)
CO ($141.41)
<font color="C00000">Hero ($49.50)</font>
SB ($23.70)
<font color="C00000">BB ($56.05)</font>
UTG ($144.84)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. MP posts a blind of $1.
UTG calls $1, MP (poster) checks, CO calls $1, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, SB calls $3.50, BB calls $3, UTG calls $3, MP folds, CO calls $3.

Flop: ($21) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets $1</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $15</font>, SB folds, BB calls $15, UTG folds, CO folds.

Turn: ($52) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $30.5 (All-In)</font>, BB calls $30.50.

River: ($113) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $113
<font color="green">Main Pot: $113, between Hero and BB.</font>
Old 08-31-2004, 02:01 AM

Default Re: Too Aggressive with the rockets... just wondering

With $4.50 in the pot when it's to you pre-flop I think you can add a buck or two to your pre-flop raise to cut into their implied odds a bit more and set-up a stronger flop bet. Do this with any hand that has effective odds in this spot.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:05 AM

ya i agree, thats what looked bad to me was your preflop raise, 4 bucks in the 50 max nl games is not enough, i raise 3 in the 25 games. Go atleast 5 probably 6. Like the previous poster said. Couple more bucks to cut into their odds.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:31 AM

Agreed... what is your opinion on a standard raise at this limit.

Going into the session my friend pointed out that the raises seem to be smaller at this limit. So I decided on a standard opening raise of $4. I open at $2.50 at the $25 game.

However... the entire night I would get multiple callers with this raise.

Should I be raising $5 preflop at this limit. I know this is off topic for the thread...but I'd appreciate opinions.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:37 AM

Like other posters said, you probally should have raised more pre-flop. I usually do 3-4 on $25 which sometimes I still get multiple callers with my big PP's.

I like the flop bet to get rid of any flush draws, but you get one caller. You might think he flopped a set? I'm not sure if I push here on the turn, maybe a good sized bet to see where stand in the hand (but can you do a 'good sized bet' and not be pot committed here? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img])
Old 08-31-2004, 08:44 AM

This was my problem... I didn't see any bet that I could make on the turn that wouldn't have me pot committed.

One friend said that I bet too much on the flop... what do you guys think of the flop bet?

On the turn... I don't see how I'm getting away... unless I check through and fold to a river bet... but that just didn't seem like a good option to me.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:20 AM

That's strange call from the BB with only 1 bet left. On the turn, it depends on the player. If he's not an idiot, then I try to check it down and fold to any bet. Against a bad/loose player, put it allin on turn when checked to you.

I can't see a decent player making a call here from BB. He's probably a bad player. May have you beat. May not. Double through or bust on turn probably.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:22 AM

He flopped a set, and you paid him off. The $1 bet on the flop followed by a cold call of a $15 raise more or less gives it away for sure. You have also diagrammed your hand as an overpair, which he can obviously beat. Correct?
Old 08-31-2004, 11:31 AM

yeah... he had 55... I shouldn't have bet turn.

And I guess I should have pulled a Hellmuth on the river when he pushes.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:37 AM

Monkey I hate to say it but this is really an easy hand to analyze. You gotta open for more with AA in the button position with a limper in front of you, say $5 or $6. Also, I like the raise in principle but a cold call of $15 on this flop (with only [censored] on the board) should send the alarm bells ringing in your head like mad. Those alarm bells are obviously muted when you are four tabling $50 tables, something which I would not do myself.

He obviously is not drawing, and is obviously not going away to a push on the turn. It just REEKS of a set. I would immediately put him on something massive. The fact that he didn't pot it on the flop himself takes him off a lower overpair. The $1 bet on the flop is SO SO fishy. It is only designed for one thing -- to induce your raise and get you pot committed.

You understand that he has odds to draw to his set, and that you did all the work for him after that right?

Also, what's with all the .... instead of periods at the ends of sentences? It's really distracting, and you could mix it up a bit with stuff like - : and just plain .'s.