Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2004, 12:41 AM

Default AKo in BB

4AM 10/20 B&M

Super loose, 3 maniacs at least. Check-raising bottom pair the norm, 2nd pair usually waits til the turn to checkraise here. Button is pretty good, real aggressive but losing and I think playing a bit timidly.

3 limps, button raises, I'm in SB w/ AKo. I decide to just call bc.: 1, I know that eveyone is calling 2 more no matter what, 2, I would like the button to be in the lead so I can thin the field if I hit tptk.

6 to flop for 12 sb,

flop is T63r--all check.
turn 8 or nine-- I bet, folded to button who raises, I call
river T (8T63)--I check call

How did I play this?

Thanks, PT
Old 08-18-2004, 02:17 AM

Default Re: AKo in BB

Raise preflop. It's OK if everyone calls, their calls are making you money.

I don't understand the turn bet. Are you hoping to buy it right there? Looks pretty unlikely against 5 opponents.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:38 AM

i like your reasoning for not reraising preflop here

i dont understand why you bet the flop, youre likely to get several callers and then raised by the raiser. wouldnt it make more sense to checkraise the button since you are likely to have to pay 2 bets anyway? this way you drive out the limpers. if you get 3 betted at least you know where you stand
Old 08-18-2004, 03:37 AM

sorry i misread most of the post, i thought you bet out on the flop
Old 08-18-2004, 02:34 AM

I don't really see any reason for your turn bet. Check it and see what happens again.

SGS
Old 08-18-2004, 02:42 AM

preflop should have been an easy reraise. it doesn't matter if they all call, they're making you money. you might have taken a stab at it on the flop. turn bet was pointless. calling the raise was even worse. check calling the river was horrific.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
preflop should have been an easy reraise. it doesn't matter if they all call, they're making you money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps, The action was so intense w/ marginal hands that I did not want to have to be in the lead in worst position until I saw how things developed. This is the question that I'm most interested in here. In a normal game, I always 3-bet here if for no other reason than to knock out BB. I don't think it's as clear of a 3-bet as most. Would like to hear more reasons than "do it, it will make you money".

[ QUOTE ]
you might have taken a stab at it on the flop. turn bet was pointless.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was not so much trying to pick up the pot here as a bluff, rather I though that there was a good chance that I had the best hand. Certainly wanted to knock out any gutshots and other weak draws.

[ QUOTE ]
calling the raise was even worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way. Given the texture of this game and buttons play, there is no way that he would have checked the flop w/ any hand here that beats me other than 99. When all folded to him, I felt that I was good. Would have three-bet if I thought he'd call.

[ QUOTE ]
check calling the river was horrific.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? there's no way that he'd have called a raise.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:29 AM

You say you called the river because your opponent wouldn't have called a raise. Did you honestly think at the time that you were ahead at the turn or river? If you did, and were so sure of your read, what purpose does your post serve?

It seems you're giving away that you indeed had the better no pair and won, and your tone is thus derived from a results-oriented analysis. So maybe the Button was bluff-raising the turn with a worse hand. But if he is "pretty good" and was playing somewhat "timidly" as you said in your original post, one would think he is LESS likely to raise purely as a bluff AND bet the river as a bluff.

I still don't like the turn bet against multiple opponents. I do not think it was for value, and as a bluff it was ill-timed (although in this case everyone else but the Button folded). You invested 3BB total on the turn and the river with a nut no pair, heads-up against a decent, somewhat timid opponent. I cannot see this as +EV.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You say you called the river because your opponent wouldn't have called a raise. Did you honestly think at the time that you were ahead at the turn or river? If you did, and were so sure of your read, what purpose does your post serve?

It seems you're giving away that you indeed had the better no pair and won, and your tone is thus derived from a results-oriented analysis. So maybe the Button was bluff-raising the turn with a worse hand. But if he is "pretty good" and was playing somewhat "timidly" as you said in your original post, one would think he is LESS likely to raise purely as a bluff AND bet the river as a bluff.

I still don't like the turn bet against multiple opponents. I do not think it was for value, and as a bluff it was ill-timed (although in this case everyone else but the Button folded). You invested 3BB total on the turn and the river with a nut no pair, heads-up against a decent, somewhat timid opponent. I cannot see this as +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts almost to the word. I also think it's very silly to not reraise AK pre-flop in order to "give the button the lead" but then lead out on the turn.

SpaceAce
Old 08-18-2004, 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think it's as clear of a 3-bet as most. Would like to hear more reasons than "do it, it will make you money".

[/ QUOTE ]

Your hand is better than your opponents and stands to win the pot more than your opponents. Every additional bet your opponents put in the pot with worse hands adds to the amount of money you will win in the long run.

Orange