Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2004, 02:50 PM

Default With all of the grief that Phil Hellmuth gets.....

How come nobody ever mentions how Stu Ungar used to throw cards at dealers when he lost, berate other players, and was probably the worst behaved player at the table?

Doyle Brunson said: "I've never hit anyone in 40 years of playing poker and I almost hit Stu at least 5 times, and me three times as big as him. He had a way of getting under people's skin"

I recently read an article on Stu that compared Phil to him. As it was discussing Stu's table persona, it said: "An obnoxious, loud personality with a good instinct for the game can produce results, and this is exactly what intelligent players like Phil Hellmuth are so good at doing."

I say all of this not to speak poorly of Stu but to make us realize that perhaps one day, we'll say the same things about Phil. Perhaps we'll look back at his whining and poor sportsmanship and see it as great poker psychology. After all, how many times do you really think you've seen Phil go on tilt in the sense that it negatively affects his play? I can't think of one time. I think his image is just how he wants it.

Now, I'll be the first to admit that I didn't know Ungar personally nor was I a huge poker fan during his lifetime. So perhaps, I"m off base in the comparison.

Thoughts?
Old 08-06-2004, 02:58 PM

Default Re: With all of the grief that Phil Hellmuth gets.....

No offense to, the late, Mr. Ungar but cocaine can do that to a guy. I don't think we'll see Mr. Hellmuth's nose ready to fall off of his face anytime soon. You add to that the life and lifestyle Mr. Ungar lived. I can only imagine how much anger and frustration he carried with him every day.

"Cocaine is a hell of a drug."
-Rick James
Old 08-06-2004, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
-Rick James

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you post that before or after the anouncement of his death? If it was before, that's SPOOKY dude [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/n...mes-obit_x.htm
Old 08-06-2004, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
-Rick James

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you post that before or after the anouncement of his death? If it was before, that's SPOOKY dude [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/n...mes-obit_x.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 08-07-2004, 07:27 AM

I did actually. I was shocked to hear of his death.
Old 08-07-2004, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

-Rick James

[/ QUOTE ]

"James was convicted in 1993 of assaulting two women. The first attack occurred in 1991 when he restrained and burned a young woman with a hot pipe during a cocaine binge at his house in West Hollywood. He was free on bail when the second assault occurred in 1992 in James' hotel room."

Source USA Today

Hot pipe???? Sounds like Rick James wasn't on cocaine, he was on crack. That's a whole different league of drugs. Probably just called it cocaine because of cracks social stigma.

P.S. I know they are related, but simply treating a molecule to go from acidic to basic can, and in this case does, significantly change it's biochemical properties.

Drugs are bad ummmmkaayyy.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hot pipe???? Sounds like Rick James wasn't on cocaine, he was on crack. That's a whole different league of drugs. Probably just called it cocaine because of cracks social stigma.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, back in the day, we used to freebase cocaine and it was not crack. There is quite a difference on how both are made. For example, heroin is not morphine. They may both come from opium but there is quite a difference. Same with cocaine.
Old 08-06-2004, 02:59 PM

Probably because Stu's heyday was twenty years ago, so with the exception of this last WSOP win, no one ever saw him on TV. Phil's emotional displays have been captured on camera dozens of times.
Old 08-06-2004, 03:40 PM

I think this is the thing- Phil makes for good TV. and Whiny Phil makes for even better TV.

In the event Gavin won - look how much they focused on Phil. a whole piece on him early on, and then a good 3-5 minutes of him crying.
Old 08-06-2004, 03:23 PM

I think drugs had a major part in this, still making it unacceptable, but at least expected.

I don't think Phil is anywhere near the genius of Stu either. I compare it to a pool player that can only play 9 ball. sure, they might be a great 9 ball player, but a real pool legend would be good at 9 ball, 8 ball, straight pool, etc.

If Phil can adjust to the current top players styles he might be able to pull something off, but his arrogance and overvaluation of himself is a speedbump to this epiphany he might one day have.

When you think you can do no wrong, yet continue to run dry, even going so far as to say that if luck weren't involved, youw ould never lose, the chance that you are going to fill the leak in your game gets slimmer and slimmer.

I don't think Stu Ungar is a fair bar to measure anyone by, just as Bobby Fischer isn't really a fair bar to measure chess players by. When those parts of your brain for those types of talents click, it becomes instinct, not skill.