Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2004, 07:40 AM

Default What\'s your river action?

Juicy 20/40 Foxwoods.

4 terrible limpers to an loose aggressive player who raises in LP, the SB calls and I call with K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

7 take the flop for 7BBs

Flop: J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB checks, I bet, one limper calls, LAG raises, SB folds, I call, limper calls.

3 to the turn for 9.75BBs

Turn: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]

I check limper checks, LP bets, I call, limper folds.

River: K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]

What's your river action?

Comments on all street appreciated, thank you.

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 07-16-2004, 08:05 AM

Default Re: What\'s your river action?

Does he bet a lot of rivers? I think you have enough of a hand here against overaggressive types to check-raise.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:08 AM

3-bet the flop. Pot's plenty big, and I'm thinking having that limper around does you more harm than good.
Old 07-16-2004, 12:03 PM

Hey Nate,

I'm out of my element when playing limit, but don't you want to keep the limper in the hand on the flop? Wont 3-betting sometimes drop the limper and cost you bets on later streets if you hit your draw? I like the call vs. the 3-bet.
Old 07-16-2004, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Nate,

I'm out of my element when playing limit, but don't you want to keep the limper in the hand on the flop? Wont 3-betting sometimes drop the limper and cost you bets on later streets if you hit your draw? I like the call vs. the 3-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's ahead of thet Button even a small fraction of the time, which given the description of the player, he probably is, then it would be in his overwhelming best interest to play it heads up against the LAG, as his pair of 8's is much more likely to hold up without futher improvement. The pot is also large enough that the limper may call two more cold, which is is +EV for him.
Old 07-17-2004, 03:59 PM

If you really think you are ahead you will make the most money by betting the flop, calling the raise. Then, leading the turn, all the while trying to trap the limper for extra bets. PLus you have a nice draw to fall back on if your read is wrong and you are behind
Old 07-18-2004, 09:34 PM

If you really think you are ahead you will make the most money by betting the flop, calling the raise. Then, leading the turn, all the while trying to trap the limper for extra bets. PLus you have a nice draw to fall back on if your read is wrong and you are behind

I'll take that line sometimes if I have a way-ahead-way-behind type of hand, but if my pair of 8's *is* good, the limper could very easily have 6 outs or better to beat it. If I can get him to fold for two bets, I'm all for it. And if he's the type that never folds ... well, I'm collecting more bets from him when my hand must be a pretty healthy favorite over his.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:54 PM

Strassa,

First off, that limper isn't going anywhere if he has a flush draw. So, more money from him is good. Second, if he has just overcards (or even one overcard), you want the limper to fold, so that your pair of eights might hold up. Third, and possibly most importantly, this might let him take the pot down with a river bet if, for example, T9 misses the straight but makes a pair. Lastly, I'd think him to be the favorite over LAG's range of hands. So more money from him is good too.

You probably don't want to c-r the turn, because that probably will knock out the limper, and if Joe didn't improve on the turn, he probably wouldn't be the favorite vs. LAG anymore.

That's pretty much what Nate said, but I felt like posting anyway.

Mike

PS How many posts have you made today, son? 50?!
Old 07-16-2004, 12:09 PM

3-bet the flop. Pot's plenty big, and I'm thinking having that limper around does you more harm than good.

He was a pretty poor player and would call nearly any flop w/any piece, Ax and the like.

I was hoping to collect more callers and likely 3-bet and was surprised that I did not.

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 07-16-2004, 01:19 PM

The dumbest post i've seen lately.If you don't call the river with two pair i don't know why you calling preflop in the first place.

War and peace.thank you