Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2004, 10:25 PM

Default Bad river call in PLHE?

On reflection I think I played this badly, although at the time I was convinced I had made the right decision. Live game B&M, blinds 2/2: I'm in CO +1 with T7s; No raise two callers, including very poor player MP+2 - I call, button calls, blinds check.

We see the flop five-handed.

I flop the nuts, to a board of 9,8,6 - 2 clubs, none of my suit.

Checked to MP +2, who bets about two thirds of pot. He could have anything - top pair, top two, TT or possibly a club draw.

I flat call, all fold.

Turn: Qo.

MP+2 again under bets - I raise the pot. He calls without hesitation. From his play over the session, this again means very little.

I am sure he does not have J, T.

River pairs the board, with an offsuit 8.

He immediately bets £300. I have persuaded myself he has a tell that suggests he is bluffing. I call in an instant.

Thoughts?

Results soon.

Sherbert
Old 07-16-2004, 12:47 PM

Default Re: Bad river call in PLHE?

Almost sounds like he wanted it to look like a bluff...

btw- How could he bet 300 pounds on the river? Doesn't seem like there was even close to that much in the pot after the turn...
Old 07-16-2004, 01:13 PM

pot was 30 on the turn, villian bets around 20, hero calls the 20 and raises 70 more, villian calls 70, making the pot around 210 by my count. less than 300 def, but still substantial.

--turnipmonster
Old 07-16-2004, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Congrats, turnipmonster...

...on your 1000th post. You've been giving some pretty solid advice, keep it coming. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-16-2004, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Congrats, turnipmonster...

I didn't even realize. I think I need to get out more [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

--turnipmonster
Old 07-16-2004, 04:36 PM

My Bad. Blinds were 3/3 - doh! Game used to play 2/2, then got bumped up to 3/3. So, yes there was more than £300 on the river. As you probably guessed, OP had housed up, with, yes, bottom two pair. This was a few weeks ago, but it still sort of hurts. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Anyway, thanks for all your replies to what was my first post, from those exceeding their thousandth and the rest.

Sherbert
Old 07-16-2004, 01:16 PM

don't know what to tell you here, sometimes you can get away from it, sometimes you can't. against a player like this I probably would call, but against some players it's an easy fold. most likely hand is 2 pair, I think you would have heard from a set earlier.

--turnipmonster
Old 07-16-2004, 04:42 PM

sorry you lost it sherbert. he forced you to a decision. making those reads is the hardest skill/talent in big bet. just part of the game. no shame in paying him off as long as you don't pay off routinely.

matt
Old 07-16-2004, 05:11 PM

Tough call either way on the river, I would most likely call. The bigger issue here though is your PF play. When did T7s become a playable hand? I wouldn't even limp in with it on the button.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:01 PM

Really? after 62 times w/ T7s, which is probably not big enough of a sample, I'm up 1.38 big bets per hand and i've played it 58% of the time and raised with it 14% of the time (I get it in the blind and in late position more than usuall). In fact, I'm up w/ all suited two gappers T7s down to 74s. They're playable in the right situations.