Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2004, 04:05 PM

Default a hand last night

There is a late position poster. UTG limps. I limp w/4c 4s. Good player on my left limps. Poster checks and the blinds are in.

Flop is: Qh 5h 4d

I bet. Good player calls. Poster calls. A blind calls.

Turn is: 8d

I bet good. Good player raises. It’s folded to me.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:20 PM

Default Re: a hand last night

I would raise. Raising is fun.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:41 PM

My first reaction is the same as yours, but when the other guy has a bigger hand, the fun goes out of it real fast. Aren't his most likely hands are a made straight or a set of 8s or 5s?
Old 07-13-2004, 04:43 PM

Yes, but this tricky bastard could be raising with some sort of pair + flush and/or straight draw. Let him know that you won't be pushed around. That said, this is a precarious spot.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:47 PM

We can put him on Ah-8h because we can beat that. But I think the risk/reward ratio comes down on the side of wimping out here. A 3-bet might scare Gabe's opponent out either here or on the river when he's beat; and cost Gabe when the guy beats a set of 4s because he's almost definitely going to 4-bet.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:59 PM

i get the feeling gabe wishes he had gone for a checkraise on the turn instead of the good player raising all his customers out of the pot. that said his hand has shrunk here somewhat and i would just call it down headsup here myself
Old 07-13-2004, 04:59 PM

I agree with everything you say, which is a pattern these days, BTW [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img], but I'd reraise it anyway. He won't get reraised for the same reason as you say Gabe shouldn't reraise himself by 55, so this is fine. 88 will reraise him, and the straight will, too, but I don't think we can back off yet, especially in LA, but it's awfully close. The most deciding factor is how his opponent views him. Gabe said that he was tough, but how does he view Gabe? Several players view me as weak and tight, while others view me as loose and aggressive around here, for various reasons (they've told me this), and how Gabe's being perceived has everything to do with this hand. If the opponent views Gabe as you and I do, then I agree that shutting down is best. However, if this guy doesn't then a reraise is a better option.

The idea of thinking about how your opponents view you is a new concept that I've been thinking a great deal about, thanks to some guy named Zee, and he's right, of course. The perception of you by your opponents can often not be what you think it is, and "this is enough to break you." The man is more correct than you know.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let him know that you won't be pushed around.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not too worried about that.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:45 PM

If I flop a set with 2-suited cards on board I'm betting/raising, so 67s is the only likely hand that has you beat IMO. I raise here thinking I might be ahead and still having 10 outs to the Full House (but that's just me?).
Old 07-13-2004, 04:48 PM

I wouldn't necessarily do so with the flop bettor on my immediate right. Lots of guys wait until the turn to pop it in this situation.