Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2005, 10:21 PM

Default why all the mad swings in 6max?

I would just like to hear everybody's ideas why the swings are so brutal at 6max. I have my ideas but I want to see if I'm on the same page as the rest of you guys.

Thanks
Old 08-14-2005, 10:57 PM

Default Re: why all the mad swings in 6max?

I think it comes down to agression level. The current trend in the HUSH forums seems to be very agressive. It is a mentaility of maintaining the initiative, control, and forcing others to play YOUR game.

I don't pound away quite as relentlessly as some here. Some might criticize me for being weakish passive-agressive. But, my swings are nowhere near as bad as other here have posted. I can only think of 1 time in the last 30,000 hands or so that i lost more than 150 BB before things started to turn in the other direction.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:01 PM

Variance is a bitch.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The current trend in the HUSH forums seems to be very agressive. It is a mentaility of maintaining the initiative, control, and forcing others to play YOUR game.

[/ QUOTE ]
Being aggressive and in control when playing shorthanded is not a "trend".
Old 08-15-2005, 01:20 AM

note i used the words "very aggressive". i guess it's hard to know what each other means by 'very'. when i referred to the "current trend" i was talking about people aiming to reach 30/20/2.5.

at PP 3/6 i'm running 23.5/17.5/1.8. I consider myself passive-agressive. i don't keep pushing when i meet resistance, but i don't fold much either when i have a hand. am i too weak-tight?

Old 08-15-2005, 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it comes down to agression level. The current trend in the HUSH forums seems to be very agressive. It is a mentaility of maintaining the initiative, control, and forcing others to play YOUR game.

I don't pound away quite as relentlessly as some here. Some might criticize me for being weakish passive-agressive. But, my swings are nowhere near as bad as other here have posted. I can only think of 1 time in the last 30,000 hands or so that i lost more than 150 BB before things started to turn in the other direction.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your example means very little. I also do not have a higher than 150 BB downswing in my 30K+ hands at 5/10 and I play a more aggressive style. Maybe a passive style stays out of more marginal situations but then you also don't win as much, which also leaves you vulnerable to a downswing.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was reading an archive of davidross's journals, and he said when he switched to a more aggressive style (the HUSH way) variance was much less than when he played passively. His sample size was humongous, so that pretty solidly contradicts what you are saying. Just a thought
Old 08-14-2005, 11:06 PM

In a short game you may risk 4 BBs to win 4 BBs. In a full game you may risk 4 BBs to win 10 BBs. So in a full game when you win a pot, the size of the pot makes up for the number of times you lose.

The numbers are not exact...It's just an idea.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:21 PM

More marginal situations.

The other ideas in this thread don't really make any sense to me.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:25 PM

I wasn't under the impression that there were "ideas" and "theories" as to why there was more variance. There is more variance with fewer people playing as you are forced to play more hands than you would in a ring game, which means more marginal situations that will show a profit over 50% of the time but not always much more. When you play heads up the swings are at a maximum because of this reason.