Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2005, 06:11 PM

Default HUGE downswing

Hi, I started about a year ago with a 115$ deposit, lost it in about 2 months. Decided to deposit another 115$, and built it up to 1015, which was my peak. Ever since I got there, it's been up and down and mostly down..which I'm at about 150$ now. Seems like too much money to call variance, and I don't THINK I've really changed my play all that much. It feels pretty disgusting to have lost all that though..any suggestions on what to do(besides a flame on quit poker etc.) It just seems like nothing I do can get me back on top again
Old 10-26-2005, 06:15 PM

Default Re: HUGE downswing

Sounds like you're a losing player who happened to hit one good winning streak.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:17 PM

Or maybe playing a limit that exceeded his bankroll.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:21 PM

Maybe, but I was stagnant at 3-400 for about 2 weeks, then jumped jumped jumped, went down and up and down and up, I lost about 400$ yesterday in heads up(won 3 50's, lost a 50, lost a 100, lost a 200,+rake), combined with a 150$ loss of a "loose" call when I was at a 100$ game with 250, then pretty much steamed off the rest of my stack when I pushed AQs UTG, got called by AK(6 handed). steaming is a bitch....
Old 10-27-2005, 01:40 AM

This is obviously your problem. Stop sitting down with a fifth of your roll while on tilt (moving up in stakes on a downswing is a sign of ADDICTION and TILT). Stop making loose calls. Stop pushing PF with AQs (who is going to call you here? QQ+. Make a note on the guy who called PF. Unless it was very very obvious that you were tilting, its a donk call, and even if he had a solid read on you its still a donk call).

For now go bonus whore (Absolute has a big reload every few days and Bet365 has $150 bonus for october, these will give you a start to build up enough to play NL25. Don't play on a site unless you are actively whoring a bonus so that every cent of your rake comes back to you while you are building up a roll)

let me repeat: if you start to steam, just log off. Do something completely unrelated to poker for an hour. Come back with a clear(er) head, look at your PT history for the session, learn from your mistakes, and post a few hands on 2+2. After doing this sign back on and double up off of some donks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-27-2005, 02:34 AM

This is fairly normal variance.
This is bad bankroll management.
This is a player who really doesn't understand much.
This is probably someone who does not play a winning game....but possibly plays break-even poker.

Any time anybody says something like "I play good starting hands" then you know you have player who isn't very good. Anyone who thinks this is worth mentioning just doesn't understand winning poker.
Anyone who posts about how much money they have lost without mentioning the stakes or how many hands this has taken place over clearly doesn't "get it" either.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is fairly normal variance.
This is bad bankroll management.
This is a player who really doesn't understand much.
This is probably someone who does not play a winning game....but possibly plays break-even poker.

Any time anybody says something like "I play good starting hands" then you know you have player who isn't very good. Anyone who thinks this is worth mentioning just doesn't understand winning poker.
Anyone who posts about how much money they have lost without mentioning the stakes or how many hands this has taken place over clearly doesn't "get it" either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent post, this should be stickied.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:59 PM

shut the [censored] up aiight i get it
Old 10-27-2005, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so true.

Others include:

1. I don't chase.
2. I can beat good players, but I can't beat bad ones.
3. I can't win at that level because no one respects your raises.
4. I am tight aggressive. (they never are).
5. I wouldn't post that here your just gonna get flamed by some douche.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

For now go bonus whore (Absolute has a big reload every few days and Bet365 has $150 bonus for october, these will give you a start to build up enough to play NL25. Don't play on a site unless you are actively whoring a bonus so that every cent of your rake comes back to you while you are building up a roll)

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't he have to play the $1/$2 tables (limit) to clear the bonus? Seems kinda high for his bankroll.