Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2004, 09:00 AM

Default Lets see what people think of this one

Rebuy tournament from yesterday, my opponent is quite solid, but also a good player. I have been in this SB vs BB position maybe 7 times against him in this tournament and normally been too shortstacked to steal with my rubbish. I have finally doubled up and stolen a few more pots. I have raised twice in those times and check folded to a big flop bet. Ok thats the history, heres the hand.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t1200 (9 handed)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP2 (t22890)
MP3 (t11228)
CO (t25046)
Button (t45769)
<font color="C00000">Hero (t14070)</font>
<font color="C00000">BB (t29130)</font>
UTG (t50452)
UTG+1 (t7220)
<font color="C00000">MP1 (t56275)</font>

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t3600</font>, BB calls t2400,

Flop: (t6525) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets t3600</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t10395</font>.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:08 AM

Default Re: Lets see what people think of this one

Tosh,

I think if I'm going to make a move in this position, I'd probably push. I'm actually a bit surprised you didnt. When he bet hard on the flop, I dont think I would have relied on my small pair. His smooth call preflop is very worrying in my eyes.

Hope it turned out!

Nick
Old 08-20-2004, 09:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
His smooth call preflop is very worrying in my eyes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its FAR less concerning than a reraise.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:16 AM

At first, all I could think was "Damn, you're much more ballsy than I am with only middle pair!", but I read it again and realized why you pushed.

He was figuring that you'd fold to a big bet like you had the previous two times, I'm guessing, so I think the push is a good choice here. He folded, eh?

I'm probably wrong, but it's early, and my brain doesn't function properly until about noon.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:19 AM

Interesting. Pre-flop is fine. My instinct tells me to push immediately, however by checking I think you were able to get information. I would read his bet as having a piece of the board, worst case scenario flush draw w/2 overcards to the 6. Think he would bet stronger with a J, and if he had pair &gt; 6 think he would have re-raised you pre-flop. Think more times than not you're a strong favorite, hopefully he has 6x.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:25 AM

I like the play, heads-up people are more likely to try and bluff than into a large group of people. It seems to me like he was trying to buy the pot, hoping you had like AK, AQ, KQs. The raise puts him on the defensive and unless he has at least a jack, he needs to lay it down. At least this is how I would play it, the only scary thing would be if he was slowplaying a big PP, but if you have a good feel for your opposition, it's an easy fold if he reraises a large amount (like enough to set you all in).
Old 08-20-2004, 10:16 AM

some of you need to actually read the post and look at the stack sizes. if villain decides to re-raise and set the hero all-in he will already be waaaaaay pot-committed and have to call even if he knew the villain had a jack. he basically did push by making this move.

anyway, given the information i like the move. hope you got a fold out of it.

-tpir
Old 08-20-2004, 10:23 AM

Ironically, I think you need to read the replies. I don't see any posts mentioning to bet out (non all-in) on the flop, only push/check/fold type comments. How can the villain re-raise an all-in heads up?
Old 08-20-2004, 10:29 AM

i wasn't talking about your post. i was referring to this:

[ QUOTE ]
but if you have a good feel for your opposition, it's an easy fold if he reraises a large amount (like enough to set you all in).

[/ QUOTE ]

there is no way our hero can fold once he makes this move. hero didn't *quite* go all-in...but it was close enough that he might as well have. and the villain would be setting *us* all-in.

cheers,
-tpir
Old 08-20-2004, 10:30 AM

My checkraise was all in.

I should just clarify that there is a 75 ante and the pot should read 7875 on the flop. The convertor is being a bit buggy.