Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 09:59 PM

Default A3s in the BB, what\'s my flop play

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. MP1 posts a blind of $2.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (8 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(8 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, .....what's my action

this is literally my first hand at the table. Should I raise to make the field call two cold? Should I have raised PF?
Old 08-02-2005, 10:13 PM

Default Re: A3s in the BB, what\'s my flop play

Yikes. I think I'd just call.

I'm not at all confident that's best, though.

As for preflop, I like just checking. Possibly you have a small edge over the field, but you are out of position with a hand that's really only so-so, and I also wouldn't really want to invite someone to limp reraise and build a huge pot.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:45 AM

All right, enough people are calling for a raise or a fold (and I still don't know what's best, though I don't like folding), that I'm going to try to make the case for a call.

It goes like this: Maybe (not so likely, but you never know) we have the best hand right now. However, the bet comes from an awkward place if we can't get rid of hands like gutshots that might fold at a tighter table where the pot wasn't already 9 SB's big. (It doesn't help either that the players we're hoping to fold out are apparently very loose.)

If we call, there will possibly be a big series of calls behind us. And so be it. We've got top pair (and thus decent two-pair outs), along with a backdoor flush draw. No one has to have anything all that good, and if they do, there's a decent chance they won't raise with it anyway until the turn, by when we will either have improved or we won't have. (It's possible we'll be in an awkward spot again on the turn if SB bets again, but he might not, and if he does, by that time we may want to raise.)

I don't know. I don't like it that SB bet, but I think I like calling and seeing what the action is behind me.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:16 PM

I'm folding. You're in poor position with a marginal hand and no reads.

Anyway, this is a pretty good spot to raise preflop.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:23 PM

how often will our hero win this pot vs 8 ppl? this flop clearly connects with many hands... there are so many cards that will fall and beat us. i think this is an example of waiting until the turn to make a decision. call the bet. hopefully u can raise the turn when a club or brick falls. without the backdoor i might even fold. (im sure i will get flamed for this post)
Old 08-03-2005, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how often will our hero win this pot vs 8 ppl? this flop clearly connects with many hands... there are so many cards that will fall and beat us. i think this is an example of waiting until the turn to make a decision. call the bet. hopefully u can raise the turn when a club or brick falls. without the backdoor i might even fold. (im sure i will get flamed for this post)

[/ QUOTE ]

Flame? Why? Your plan is pretty much my plan too.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Flame? Why? Your plan is pretty much my plan too.

[/ QUOTE ]

In fact, The Wheel, it would seem that you're in the boat with a bunch of us. Don't be too worried about getting flamed.

Take this well-received idea as an encouragement for future posts of similar quality.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, didnt expect to see this. Probably the line I take.

Also, without hte BD flush draw Im probably folding in this spot.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:24 PM

I'd raise. This hand is easier to play with the initative.

-SmileyEH
Old 08-02-2005, 10:26 PM

okay, if I raise, obviously any flush and 2nd or thrid pair hands will call, but if I raise, I can try to fold out any gutshots and any other backdoor hands. Is this smart thinking(i'm just playing devils advocate here, as I do in most of my hand posts [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])