Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2005, 05:58 PM

Default Why winning players really win.

I recently had a thought, and though I'm quite sure I am not the first person to have made this hypothesis, I was wondering what the poker community at large had to say about this. Here it is- Winning players at the micro-medium limits (say 30/60 in most areas- I've played as high as 20/40) win primarily by being oppurtunistic. I believe this to be true because In a relatively short period of time I believe any player willing to learn how to play correctly can become a winner in today's poker environment. And that the real reason winners win is because they are really the only ones who care about winning. Most poker players play for fun, or to gamble, and know that with the proper effort they could greatly increase their EV (even if they don't yet know what EV is), but they choose not to because that is simply not why they play poker. I can think of specific examples of individuals I know who even know how to play properly but prefer the action over the potential profit. Winning players are the players who prefer the profit over the action, and are simply there to take advantage of those who don't care about their money or don't possess the knowledge to hold on to it at the table. Basically, I contend that talent and skill is not what really makes a low-mid stakes winner, but rather the ability to seize an oppurtunity. I feel this way primarily because I have had success in the games I have played to this point in my poker career, and I really don't feel like I am anything special with respect to my poker talent. I am simply a guy who took the time and had the patience to take advantage of oppurtunities and profit from them. Agreements and disagreements welcomed.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:53 AM

Default Re: Why winning players really win.

I agree. I do fairly well at the lower limits and I only consider myself an okay player (I think I am fairly studious, but very inexperienced). One of the main reasons I win is that the opposition is just plain terrible. I really think the key to winning at the low levels is to play hands that you expect to be drawing hands only in late position so that you can play for free cards and such, and value bet the heck out of the calling stations with your good hands. They will call with hands you beat frequently. I once bet a set of deuces into a 4 flush board (misclick), got called and overcalled and won the hand. How in the world could that happen against reasonable opponents? Thank god for the low limits.

Most of the time when I find myself running bad it is just because I am making too many cute bluffs when scare cards hit. Almost no player at the lower limits lays down a pair EVER, and will frequently show down Ace-big unimproved.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I once bet a set of deuces into a 4 flush board (misclick), got called and overcalled and won the hand. How in the world could that happen against reasonable opponents?

[/ QUOTE ]

Everybody else "misclicked" too? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-06-2005, 02:19 AM

Well, as for me ... I am afraid of no player. Absolutely, NO ONE. Not a single player intimidates me. It's just that my current game is quite pathetic in the nth degree ... <g>

Why? Because this is only my second month ... and I am *tired* of donating anything more than my pathetic play allows. I am still studying (thank you PokerStars staff), and invest a minimum of 60 hours weekly to my study of this fascinating, mind game. Sure, I play the play money games and sometimes win. But, currently, I am behind by some several hundred dollars in real money to those who know I am a rookie ...

I'm getting much better ... I am now able to keep my emotions in check whenever I suffer a bad beat or I hit an ace-high straight. I no longer shout at my monitor, hit my desk with my fist, or stamp my feet in frustration.

The better poker players win because they can spot a rookie, like me, a mile away ... either that ... or they originally heard my shouting all the way from my humble abode in the Green Mountains of Vermont. <g>

Craftyandsly (Name's_Tom)
Old 03-09-2005, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Well, as for me ... I am afraid of no player. Absolutely, NO ONE. Not a single player intimidates me. It's just that my current game is quite pathetic in the nth degree ... <g>
This is why you are losing. You are becoming a calling station, or a maniac, because you "don't fear anyone." If people are betting, they are representing a good hand. Put the ego away.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:16 PM

[Crafty] Well, as for me ... I am afraid of no player. Absolutely, NO ONE. Not a single player intimidates me. It's just that my current game is quite pathetic in the nth degree ... <g> [/Quote]

[Spekkio]This is why you are losing. You are becoming a calling station, or a maniac, because you "don't fear anyone." If people are betting, they are representing a good hand. Put the ego away."

I thank you for this advice. Didn't realize my mistake(s).

Craftyandsy
Old 03-09-2005, 08:05 PM

I guarantee if you had John Juanda, Phil Ivey, or Howard Lederer staring you down while you are thinking about calling off your stack holding top pair, you'd be intimidated.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:20 PM

[el_grande]I guarantee if you had John Juanda, Phil Ivey, or Howard Lederer staring you down while you are thinking about calling off your stack holding top pair, you'd be intimidated."

Well, another individual and you have opened my eyes and provided me with some very sage advice. I thank both of you for forcing me to realize that I need to check my ego at the door. I am open to more suggestions ...

Craftyandsly
Old 03-10-2005, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am open to more suggestions ...

Craftyandsly

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you need a better audience.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:17 AM

[jtr]I think you need a better audience."

Are you saying that the opinions, I have received here, are not worth that much, or are you really saying something else? please advise ...

Craftyand sly