Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2004, 09:22 PM

Default AK out of position v. best player 10-10-20NL

Best player at the table (very tough pro w/ about $2500) opens for 80 UTG+2 or so. Folded to me in SB. I have about $2100 and AKo. What now?
Old 02-08-2004, 09:40 PM

Default Re: AK out of position v. best player 10-10-20NL

will your opponent ever open limp (it's 40 to go, right?), or is that pretty much his standard open? also, is the big blind doing the two card shuffle, or counting his chips?

if it's likely to be heads up, I vote for calling and checkraising the flop. I think the important factors to consider are the level of respect VTP has for you, and how often he'll try to steamroll you here.

--turnipmonster
Old 02-09-2004, 04:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
will your opponent ever open limp (it's 40 to go, right?), or is that pretty much his standard open?

[/ QUOTE ]

He'll do all sorts of stuff, but that is pretty standard. I think he's slightly more likely to either open for more or limp w/ KK or AA.

[ QUOTE ]
also, is the big blind doing the two card shuffle, or counting his chips?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't think BB was going to play.

[ QUOTE ]
I think the important factors to consider are the level of respect VTP has for you, and how often he'll try to steamroll you here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've played a lot of limit and 5-5 w/ this opponent. He knows he's a lot better than me, but he also knows I'm a lot better than most of the others at the table. He'll definitely try and steamroll me in a lot of spots because he knows I'd rather tangle with others. But while he's very happy to play a big pot against me (especially w/ position), he'd rather play it against one of the others there.
Old 02-08-2004, 09:54 PM

Since all we know is he's a "very tough pro", I say reraise. If you can't play AK against this guy, it seems that you've pretty much decided to roll over and play dead in any pot he opens. You're out of position but I don't think that's reason enough to dump AK here unless you think he can straight outplay you no matter what falls.

Of course, I don't play against any tough pros, so what do I know?

SpaceAce
Old 02-09-2004, 04:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you can't play AK against this guy, it seems that you've pretty much decided to roll over and play dead in any pot he opens.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not super-excited about AKo out of position v. anyone in this game.
Old 02-09-2004, 04:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you can't play AK against this guy, it seems that you've pretty much decided to roll over and play dead in any pot he opens.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That puts a whole new light on this guy being the toughest at the table.

SpaceAce
Old 02-09-2004, 04:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me rephrase/clarify that. This guy was the only really tough player in the game at this point. But there were lots of aggressive players in the game as well as deep-stacked players who can play w/ just about any two. I'm not super-excited about playing AKo out of position against anyone in a no-limit game, but I'm more than happy to tangle w/ anyone else in this game.
Old 02-09-2004, 04:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me rephrase/clarify that. This guy was the only really tough player in the game at this point. But there were lots of aggressive players in the game as well as deep-stacked players who can play w/ just about any two. I'm not super-excited about playing AKo out of position against anyone in a no-limit game, but I'm more than happy to tangle w/ anyone else in this game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotcha. I thought we might have had a misunderstanding when I saw you refer to the game's incredible weakness in another post.

I'm not suggesting that AKo is invincible but I can't imagine being too sad about peeking at my cards in the small blind and seeing it there. I find it interesting that you actually did what I thought you should have although most people seem to think it was not the way to go.

SpaceAce
Old 02-08-2004, 10:36 PM

Honestly, I think raising is the worst option here. I don't want to put in 250-300 out of position with only AK and then feel compelled to bluff at a lot of boards when I miss against a tough player.

I would probably call and checkraise if an A or K hits. But I don't agree with the people that say folding here is way too weak. AKo isn't a great NL hand with fairly deep stacks and the importance of position is magnified against a tough player. There's no shame in folding here. NL is all about picking your spots, and there's nothing wrong with resolving not to mess with the big dogs in marginal situations.
Old 02-08-2004, 10:43 PM

Default That\'s How I See It Too... n/m