Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2004, 05:25 PM

Default Weak Top Pair--Standard?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (12 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, SB folds, BB folds.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP2 folds.

River: (9.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13.50 BB
Old 11-08-2004, 05:56 AM

Default Re: Weak Top Pair--Standard?

Old 11-08-2004, 07:22 AM

In situations like this, I like to check the river. The reason being, 1) I do not like my kicker. If someone is calling me down all the way, I am not necessarily value betting this river because my kicker is crap. 2) if you do check/call, sometimes this induces a bluff bet by the other opponent with his mid pair of some sort. And if he did catch 2 pair or have a higher kicker, than it only costs you 1 bet to see.

*PS, fold Ax suited preflop in early position. Those hands just don't have enough +EV to be calling that early. The most I usually call with UTG for Ax suiteds is A 10s, and some still say that call is loose. (btw.. that is standard preflop starting hand standards straight from SSHE. Get a copy as soon as you can if you haven't read it.)
Old 11-08-2004, 07:32 AM

Thanks. The table I was at was very very loose-passive. I don't usually play Axs from early position, and will probably want to play it even less after this. It's hard for me to remember that I'm not only concerned about whether I'll get raised pre-flop, I also end up in situations like this.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:16 AM

I pretty much mirrir what young nut said. He beat me to the exact words lol.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

*PS, fold Ax suited preflop in early position. Those hands just don't have enough +EV to be calling that early. The most I usually call with UTG for Ax suiteds is A 10s, and some still say that call is loose. (btw.. that is standard preflop starting hand standards straight from SSHE. Get a copy as soon as you can if you haven't read it.)

[/ QUOTE ]

If I remember correctly that is the advice for tight tables with 3-5 to a flop. For loose non-aggressive tables the recommendation is to limp with Axs.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I remember correctly that is the advice for tight tables with 3-5 to a flop. For loose non-aggressive tables the recommendation is to limp with Axs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I stand corrected sir, it certainly does say this. I must be playing a little too tight or playing some tigher tables that normal lately.
Old 11-08-2004, 11:18 AM

btw what did the winner hold?
Old 11-08-2004, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
btw what did the winner hold?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, sorry. I've become so process-oriented that I had to look it up. I was surprised when I did. Villain has Ac3d for the flopped and super-slowplayed 2 pair [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2004, 10:10 AM

hi-

I think this was well played. But it seems that he may have hit his hand. Oh well. Checking the river is weak. Next time flop more hearts.

-t