Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2005, 01:55 AM

Default Interesting 2-4 Hand

2-4 blinds. I raise to 24 from 3 off the BB with 99. Tight opponent raises to 48 from mid-position. Button calls. I call.

Flop comes A95 offsuit. I check. Pre-flop reraiser bets 30. Button folds. I call.

Turn is a 5, giving me a fullhouse. I check. Pre-flop reraiser checks.

River is blank. I bet 80 and have 460 left. Pre-flop reraiser puts me all-in. He has me slightly covered.

What should I do?
Old 05-11-2005, 01:59 AM

Default Re: Interesting 2-4 Hand

[ QUOTE ]
Tight opponent

[/ QUOTE ]

Muck, he has AA.

IMO, you should have bet the flop and got it all in then and lost your stack.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:53 PM

Muck, he has AA.

Holy weak-tight Batman! Seriously, you think AA plays it this way? Dramatically underbets the pot, then checks behind a cold call on the turn?

If someone has AA and outplays me this way, he's getting paid off. No way am I mucking this hand...it's an insta-call unless I've got an unbelievable read. I mean he's gotta be shaking like a leaf here.

I called in a heartbeat. He showed pocket Aces.

He's unbelievably lucky to get paid off with that hand, and frankly IMO pretty stupid to have played it that way. First off, he'll never get action again after that move. Secondly, the ONLY way he gets paid there is if you have a monster hand with him. There's 99, and that's about it, cause what are you raising with that has a five in it unless you're mixing it up? Every hand other than 99 that you'd raise with he'd either force you to lay down, or get beat if you happened to pop it with 55.

99.9% of the time he wins $78 with his second nut Aces full. I'm happy to pay him off the rest of the time. He did an excellent job minimizing his win potential with this hand...he just got lucky that you were in with a huge one as well.

- C -
Old 05-11-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tight opponent

[/ QUOTE ]

Muck, he has AA.

[/ QUOTE ]this river fold would not even be that tough for me... kinda funny how the guy could be play his hand so incredibly bad that ppl could prob lay down second full correctly...
Old 05-11-2005, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tight opponent

[/ QUOTE ]

Muck, he has AA.

[/ QUOTE ]this river fold would not even be that tough for me... kinda funny how the guy could be play his hand so incredibly bad that ppl could prob lay down second full correctly...

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, so I was trying to be nice in my post. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I'm still not sure I would make this laydown in the heat of the moment, as I have a tendency to look people up too often sometimes - even if I'm pretty sure I'm beat - if the way a villain played a hand just doesn't feel right to me.

That said, given the fact that villain is a tight player, I think this is aces full almost every time.

The funny thing is, this hand would be much more interesting if we were playing against a creative LAG (I suppose that would almost always be the case, however), because this is the exact line that most bad, tight players will take every time. Preflop, min-reraise; flop top set, bet small not wanting to scare anyone away; turn aces full, check behind; raise all in on the river. This is a line that I've seen more than one tricky, aggro player take w/ KK, QQ, and 42o on a board like this and this action.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:28 AM

call and pay off the aces if that is what he has. only two hands beat you
Old 05-11-2005, 03:40 AM

Agreed. If he's on AA, you're paying him off.

Is he just min-raising PF with AA?
Old 05-11-2005, 09:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He was min-RE-raising pre-flop. And overbet the river.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]
He was min-RE-raising pre-flop. And overbet the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think frog realizes this. He is asking will he reraise the min with aces, or have you seen him do it before?
Old 05-11-2005, 09:49 AM

I had a very loose image at this point, running my 200 into 600 in less than 26 hands with lots of pre-flop raises and obvious flop steals, along with some showdowns. I figured he was just trying to isolate me. I put him on anywhere from JJ and AJ to KK or AA. On the river, I had narrowed him to AJ up to AA.