Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2005, 12:21 AM

Default Need Serious Help With My Play

My story is like this:

Over the last 8 months I have done well for a college student. I have probably made about $4000 in the past 8 months playing sngs and placing at a few final tables. Recently, over the last 2 months or so I just cannot seem to win. I am breaking even consistently, and when not, losing. I cannot pick out any leaks in my play and everytime I pick up a big hand like AA, KK, QQ, it always seems to get cracked. I never seem to hit any of my
draws, and I am beginning to fear playing hands like AK, AQ, or AJ in fear than opponents will outflop me. I fear committing all my chips and I am not the aggressive winning
player that I used to be. I usually fold without the nuts when I am raised because I fear that my opponents already have me beat. I also feel like the unluckiest player in the world. For instance, I was in a $30 multi-table with 124 entrants. I was heads up at the final table and had a SURE WIN with two pair on the flop, Q4, with flop of Q54. My opponent had A2 and did not hit the 3, but hit runner runner to make aces and twos and win the tourney. I don't know what it is but I think I am suffering from some sort of depessive-poker syndrome. I just cannot win! And I consistently get my money in with the best hand!! About 85% of the time I would say! I just really have no idea what to do. It's as if I've forgotten how to play poker. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:30 AM

Default Re: Need Serious Help With My Play

Hahahahahahaha.

This is going to be great.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:36 AM

Old 06-06-2005, 12:41 AM

POST HANDS

dfscott, any chance I can you get you to write me some macro that does that? Just automatically replies "POST HANDS" for me. Cause I get sick of it.

To OP, read one of the 29038572349807523098475029384509238475092387465089 2374509823475098234750983247 existing threads on this subject.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

dfscott, any chance I can you get you to write me some macro that does that? Just automatically replies "POST HANDS" for me. Cause I get sick of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where's ForumBot? Sounds like a great new feature for it.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:53 AM

You say your play has no leaks but a game played by a fearful player is quite a significant leak in general. SnG's simply cannot be one by fear. If you're scared, you'll lose. Period.

It sounds like your negative mindset is seeping over into your game. Chill out with poker for a bit until you can get your head back on straight.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:30 AM

what limit, what hands give you problems, what position are u playing AJ, AQ, AK from, what are u betting, what site you playing at, what lvl is the tourny when you start to have problems, do you like tuna?

From what we know, I would say you need to limp more with AQs and push all AA/KK regardless of position and prior action..

after that and you double up, then sit back and steal blinds from shorties with anything above 22...
Old 06-06-2005, 02:53 AM

Playing mostly on Absolute Poker and PokerStars. Playing $10-$20 Sng. Only playing AJ from late position if no raise or limpers. Same with KQ, KJ, etc.. I don't call raises unless I have AK, AKs, AQ, AQs, AA, KK, QQ, JJ, etc... in which case I usually like to see a flop. I usually try to get all in pre or post flop with KK or AA, unless the board is terribly threatening. I usually bet anywhere from 2/3, 3/4, or the entire size of the pot. If I can flop a set or two pair and an ace is showing I'll overbet to try and draw someone with an ace in. I dunno, I don't know if this is a run of bad cards or recently developed bad play. I have become much more tight than I used to be. I DON'T call raise with KJ, K10, QJ, Q10, unless they are suited AND pot odds justify calling. And I do... like tuna. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-06-2005, 03:41 AM

I'd say you are getting pegged as a ABC player and you don't do much to change their opinion. You should try to create a table image early, and then play off it when the blinds go up. If you are not getting cards early, then play the part of the limp folder. Let yourself get pushed around right up to the point where you catch a hand and double to a steal attempt. If you are getting great cards, play the part of the LAG maniac. Make huge raises UTG with big pairs. You probably won't get a call, but chances are you wouldn't have with a normal raise either. But now you have the image of an idiot. Next time you catch a hand and make the same move, you'll probably get a call. You can build a solid image at those levels in the first 2 rounds and have it pay off untill the endgame. You don't have to be this extreme, but you need to mix it up to win.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:22 AM

Its too bad the Jesus spammers never respond other posts. This would be a great time for them to chime in.