Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2005, 06:03 PM

Default Music While Playing

How many listen to music while they play? What kind? I've been wearing headphones to help me concentrate more on the SNG & kind of block everything out around me(I'm in a dorm room). I think it's helped quite a bit. I'm thinking of coming up with a theme song to play to help relax me after I take a horrid beat. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 03-31-2005, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Music While Playing

[ QUOTE ]
How many listen to music while they play? What kind? I've been wearing headphones to help me concentrate more on the SNG & kind of block everything out around me(I'm in a dorm room). I think it's helped quite a bit. I'm thinking of coming up with a theme song to play to help relax me after I take a horrid beat. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I watch television.

I also smoke and drink.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:07 PM

TV seems to disturb my play. However drinking definately helps. My only 3 SNG win streak(180 played) came after being pretty drunk. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 03-31-2005, 06:08 PM

Any music one enjoys listening to will help in the case of playing poker for extended periods of time.

I listen to plenty of different kinds of music. However, when I'm really in a groove it's usually listening to trance/electronic mixes.

I don't have any 'go to' songs. Although, if I've been shaken up and really need to bring out my secret weapon I'll often fall back on Dan Bern's 'Tiger Woods' - that always helps, [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

Yugoslav
Old 03-31-2005, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any music one enjoys listening to will help in the case of playing poker for extended periods of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the concensus was against listening to music.

If you mean only that it eases the boredom of a long session, I agree. However, I think it lowers the level of concentration, and in turn, level of play.

-Jman28
Old 03-31-2005, 06:36 PM

bah, i always listen to music when i play. if i dont have some tunes bumpin in the backround, well, hmm. yea, lost thought, but i rather have music to listen to while playing. my play isnt affected by it negatively, so why not? its like saying you shouldnt drive and listen to music because it throws off your concentration. what is that anyway? holla
Old 03-31-2005, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the concensus was against listening to music.

If you mean only that it eases the boredom of a long session, I agree. However, I think it lowers the level of concentration, and in turn, level of play.

-Jman28

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably the opposite for me since I like listening to the ipod now whenever I'm trying to crank out a bunch of SNG's. Level of play seems the same and it helps lessen the tilting from all the crap you'll see.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:45 PM

I agree that it lessens tilt. But I can't agree that it doesn't hurt you level of concentration, unless maybe it's classical, which mine isn't.

-Jman28
Old 03-31-2005, 06:46 PM

...or Bob Marley.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:47 PM

Screw the consensus. There's no way I could handle sitting in front of my computer for any extended period and not crank up winamp.

Lately it's been Johnny Cash, Guns and Roses, and Handsome Boy Modeling School; but that unholy menegerie obviously has been angering the poker gods. Yugo, you got any trance/techno recommendations?