Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2004, 06:22 PM

Default Deep stack theory

Tomorrow night I'm playing in a 5-10 NL game at the club where I usually play 1-2 NL. I know almost all of the players and play with them routinely in the smaller game. In any event, the club has set a min buy-in of $1000 and a max buy of $3000 (100 and 300 BBs, respectively).

It is my understanding that most players will probably buy in for the max, as I will. I expect to see between $20K and $30K on the table at any time, while a 1-2 table rarely sees more than $1500 in play. The stacks will be significantly deeper than those in the 1-2 game, where the average stack routinely is somewhere around 50 BBs. On occasion, one player might have more than 250 or 300 BBs in his stack (a couple hours after the game has started), but rarely if ever will more than one person be so deep.

Here's my question: as a matter of general theory, how should the increased depth affect my overall strategy?

I would hazard a guess that Axs will be worth a call more often, suited connectors will likely be more valuable, etc etc. Having said that, "draws are death" and a player can be charged much more heavily than in a game with shallow stacks. I also anticipate seeing less pre-flop all-ins (obviously; few people will push for say 2500 more with perhaps 200 in the pot), which will require more skillful post-flop play with big pairs and the like.

Any commentary is welcome. Again, I know it's difficult to give sweeping suggestions without reference to hand specifics, but I'm looking for general theoretical concepts here.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Deep stack theory

My humble opinion is that if you are asking these types of questions, you may not want to put $3000 on the table in that game.

Good luck nontheless.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:28 PM

REPLIES: 1

USEFUL CONTRIBUTION: ZERO

Thanks anyway, helpful M/HS P/NL poster!
Old 10-14-2004, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
REPLIES: 1

USEFUL CONTRIBUTION: ZERO

Thanks anyway, helpful M/HS P/NL poster!

[/ QUOTE ]

Wayfare's advice is probably the most useful advice he could possibly give. If you don't know how to play a deepstack at that level, why donate your money to that game?
Old 10-14-2004, 09:11 PM

cj-

I didnt mean to come off sounding like a dick, so i am apoligizing if I did. i think i was responding to your response to wayfare, who gave an honest (albeit curt) response.

I should have said:

If your BR can handle it, or you can replenish it w/o much trouble then, sure, give it a shot. esp. since you have played w these guys before.

no draws up front, (unless you have great posistion on a raiser in a multiway pot). play PP's from anywhere.

remember, AA and KK are only one pair. this could save your stack. in a game that size I would limp with AA or KK from up front 95% of the time. bc like many live games i have seen at that size, if you raise UTG, you may get four/five callers and you are out of position which i think is worse than a whiffed limp reraise.

dont hesitate to throw away TPGK if you either dont have position, or are against a good tricky/player.

you wont make much money in this game with TP hands; sets, straights and flushes will bring in the cash.

best of luck to you,

fsuplayer

oh yeah, check out ML4L, matt flynn's and el diablo's posts on higher NL, they are great.
Old 10-14-2004, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
oh yeah, check out ML4L, matt flynn's and el diablo's posts on higher NL, they are great.

[/ QUOTE ]

also, check the older archives (high stakes holdem) for posts about the 10-10-20 game at lucky chances - tommy angelo and others had some great discussions back then.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:02 AM

how do i get to these, they sound juicy. had no idea TA played NL. if so, might have to look more into those lessons of his.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:44 PM

agreed - this is pretty basic stuff you are asking. I wouldn't feel at ALL safe with $3000 on the table, and I think I have a better understanding of some of the concepts you are asking about.

but again, good luck.

-SmileyEH
Old 10-14-2004, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
agreed - this is pretty basic stuff you are asking. I wouldn't feel at ALL safe with $3000 on the table, and I think I have a better understanding of some of the concepts you are asking about.

but again, good luck.

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why not share your better understanding?
Old 10-14-2004, 06:55 PM

TheGrifter: thanks! Exactly what I was looking for.