Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 01:20 PM

Default Realizing my big pair is beat

I played these three hands last night.

I can't remember any reads I had, other than PT stats, which I can't review now because my hard drive on which I have (had) PT installed died.

I do remember that the opponents in hands 2 and 3 both were VPIP around 50%.

These hands are listed in the order of interesting-ness.

I feel especially unsure about hand 2.

Party Poker Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP3 calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 8.25 BB

Too weak against an unknown?

Party Poker Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls.

River: (10.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.75 BB

Just call down from the turn?

Party Poker Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (7 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB
Old 08-11-2005, 02:55 PM

Default Re: Realizing my big pair is beat

I'm guessing the reason you're not getting any responses about this is because there are too many hands in this post. They're sort of related, but still.

In hand 1, i don't see very much that we're ahead of (KQ/JJ/TT) and we're only getting 8:2 on a calldown line. I hate folding this here because i fall in love with my big PP, so maybe you can justify a calldown to see what an unknown would play this way.

I've been reading a lot of hands where the check/call WA/WB line is best. Does that apply here, where we 3-bet preflop and then just get called on the flop? Could we really check behind the turn here?

In hand 2, i doubt villain is capping with just a straight draw. He might do this with AJ/KJ(/QJ/JT), and the fact that he only called your turn raise suggests one of these as well, as opposed to two pair. The donkbet on the river is weird, so i think you just call there.

I think your turn raise is only going to get you 3-bet by better hands and win you the same amount against worse hands (who will probably check/fold UI on the river). That 7 is a pretty scary card, so when he donkbets, you have to just call instead of raising, and we would have saved 1 BB here (assuming you lost).

In hand 3 you're obviously not going to fold getting 6.5:1 on your nut flush draw, and you're probably good often enough to call one more on the river.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:57 PM

Hand 1 is fine.

Hand 2 call down, maybe raise the river when the board pairs.

Hand 3 it's close on the river. I'd say you probably win 1 in 10 to a queen but it's not a horrid call.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Go into call-down mode at what point?

Thanks for the comments.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Go into call-down mode at what point?

Thanks for the comments.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a higher limit game than I normally play, I think, but at 3/6 and 5/10 I would call down after the flop cap, and give the villain credit for 2 pair or better. A raise on the river isn't horrible but I still think you are better off just calling.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This is a higher limit game than I normally play, I think, but at 3/6 and 5/10 I would call down after the flop cap, and give the villain credit for 2 pair or better. A raise on the river isn't horrible but I still think you are better off just calling.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I actually give him credit for 2 pair or better, I should be folding the turn.

I guess you mean, just call down and hope there is a &gt; 23% chance he's overplaying one pair.
Otherwise, I should fold the turn.

(23% comes from: 6.75BB on turn + his turn bet + his river bet : my turn call + my river call. 8.75:2)

Right?
Old 08-11-2005, 03:24 PM

You have 8 outs on the turn if he has 2 pair? I think. Add that to the slight chance that he's overplaying some random AJ or KJ or something and subtract the chance that he has T8 or osmething stupid and you are drawing dead, and you played this fine, IMO
Old 08-11-2005, 03:17 PM

Hand 1 What about checking the turn and calling the river .

Hand 2 is fine with me and I wouldn't argue with anybody who liked a river raise when the board pairs.

I think I can find a turn 3-bet a lot in hand 3 he could easily have JJ KQ AQ as he didn't cap pre flop which is commmon with QQ and didn't raise the flop which he prolly would with a spade draw and we are drawing to the nuts anyway.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:30 PM

Hand 1

Others have mentioned this, but if I really want to see a showdown, I might check the turn and call the river. We're WA/WB here. Bet the river if checked to. The way you played, I think you have to fold to the turn C/R.

Hand 2
Call down from the turn. He may have a set, but more likely he has some 2 pair against which you have outs.

Hand 3
Part of me wants to 3-bet the turn since I have the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] but I'd like to hear others' thoughts on this. Will he raise something like KJs UTG? Will he not cap preflop with QQ? I think slowing down when you did is probably fine.

Tom
Old 08-11-2005, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Hand 3
Part of me wants to 3-bet the turn since I have the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] but I'd like to hear others' thoughts on this. Will he raise something like KJs UTG? Will he not cap preflop with QQ? I think slowing down when you did is probably fine.

Tom

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this depends on your table image and who had been playing back at you with sub-par hands. I am three betting that turn against alot of players.