Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2004, 06:57 PM

Default You gotta recognize....

Just wanting your opinion on this situation that I encountered last night, as I am in no way an expert of the exact rules of poker.

I'm playing a ten dollar NL Texas Holdem Tournament last night with 8 people in a college dorm. I make it down to the final three with one person being my brother and another being this extremely loose maniac who caught his cards all night and had no real 'poker sense'.

I'm on BB and my brother is dealer who folds, Maniac calls SB and I raise all in with Q2o (A questionable play I'm aware especially against a maniac, but did this a few minutes after he told the friend on his phone that he was going to survive as he was third in chips at the table and wasnt going to call any stupid all ins unless he had the goods)

Apparently forgetting he lost track of this strategey, being the maniac he is he called w/ his J9o, putting himself all in.

The flop came: 10 8 J

The worst possible flop for my Q2o giving him a straight draw w/ top pair, nullifying my Q in the process.

Turn was a 2. I mention, without thinking that I need another Q or 2 or i'm doubling him up, which he hears, and my brother paying more attention then I am informs me that a Q would give him a straight. The maniac doesnt hear my brothers additional comment as he continues talking on the phone.

The River is a Q and he stands up and screams, "You're soooo lucky man, how could you catch your two pair like that? And on the river!"

At this point i'm holding in my laughter as is my brother who was dealing the hand, realizing he doesnt know he hit a straight. During this time I ask my brother, who has his face covered by his hat b/c he's laughing if he'd like to split the rest of the winnings. He says yes and I proceed to turn over the board and put all of the other cards back into the deck. The guy then proceeds to ask how much his third place cut is and shakes our hands and leaves.

My brother and I split the rest (I offered the split so he wouldnt tell the guy what he had, even though he wasnt obligated to) and we laugh it up as we put the chips back up.

Anybody believe that this was illegal or unfair based on the 'home game' rules of poker? I honestly am not sure what defense I am going to use the next time I encounter this guy as I'm sure he will find out what happened.

All comments or advice appreciated.

-Lurch
Old 09-30-2004, 07:19 PM

Default Re: You gotta recognize....

If I were you, I wouldn't be bragging about being a scumbag cheater.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:40 PM

In order to cheat wouldnt I have to break the rules? What rule did I break? The person who hit his straight informed me that I won the pot and I do not turn down chips.

-Lurch
Old 09-30-2004, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In order to cheat wouldnt I have to break the rules? What rule did I break? The person who hit his straight informed me that I won the pot and I do not turn down chips.

-Lurch

[/ QUOTE ]

The general rule is "cards speak for themselves." The guy won the hand. I don't know if I'd go so far as to call this "cheating," but you and you'r brother certainly were in collusion to pull something deceiptful on the guy.

Ten
Old 10-01-2004, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say it collusion between u and your brother taking advantage of a novice
Old 09-30-2004, 10:59 PM

Old 09-30-2004, 11:04 PM

ina home game? thats just dumb! for what 50 bucks?
Old 10-01-2004, 02:13 AM

Default Gaming this system too?

I wouldn't be posting the same post in more than one forum. Now you're gaming this system too?
Old 10-01-2004, 08:26 AM

Default Re: Gaming this system too?

Your laughter alone should have told you the answer, but if you have to ask, YOUR WRONG... You screwed someone knowingly.
Old 10-01-2004, 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just wanting your opinion on this situation that I encountered last night, as I am in no way an expert of the exact rules of poker.

I'm playing a ten dollar NL Texas Holdem Tournament last night with 8 people in a college dorm. I make it down to the final three with one person being my brother and another being this extremely loose maniac who caught his cards all night and had no real 'poker sense'.

I'm on BB and my brother is dealer who folds, Maniac calls SB and I raise all in with Q2o (A questionable play I'm aware especially against a maniac, but did this a few minutes after he told the friend on his phone that he was going to survive as he was third in chips at the table and wasnt going to call any stupid all ins unless he had the goods)

Apparently forgetting he lost track of this strategey, being the maniac he is he called w/ his J9o, putting himself all in.

The flop came: 10 8 J

The worst possible flop for my Q2o giving him a straight draw w/ top pair, nullifying my Q in the process.

Turn was a 2. I mention, without thinking that I need another Q or 2 or i'm doubling him up, which he hears, and my brother paying more attention then I am informs me that a Q would give him a straight. The maniac doesnt hear my brothers additional comment as he continues talking on the phone.

The River is a Q and he stands up and screams, "You're soooo lucky man, how could you catch your two pair like that? And on the river!"

At this point i'm holding in my laughter as is my brother who was dealing the hand, realizing he doesnt know he hit a straight. During this time I ask my brother, who has his face covered by his hat b/c he's laughing if he'd like to split the rest of the winnings. He says yes and I proceed to turn over the board and put all of the other cards back into the deck. The guy then proceeds to ask how much his third place cut is and shakes our hands and leaves.

My brother and I split the rest (I offered the split so he wouldnt tell the guy what he had, even though he wasnt obligated to) and we laugh it up as we put the chips back up.

Anybody believe that this was illegal or unfair based on the 'home game' rules of poker? I honestly am not sure what defense I am going to use the next time I encounter this guy as I'm sure he will find out what happened.

All comments or advice appreciated.

-Lurch

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever heard the phrase "cards speak"? Your actions were pathetic, and I would NEVER play with you or your brother knowing this.