Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2005, 04:03 PM

Default Probably standard, but still wondering

Wondering if you would value bet the river? When a none-club hit, would you value bet it?

I guess the rest is standard. Villain was a loosy goosy 60 hands recorded and saw the flop 50% of them. On the turn he paused, and called the bet.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 Villain calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, MP2 folds, Villain calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Villain calls.

River: (6.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero ??

Final Pot: 6.50 BB
Old 06-23-2005, 04:09 PM

Default Re: Probably standard, but still wondering

[ QUOTE ]
I guess the rest is standard. Villain was a loosy goosy 60 hands recorded and saw the flop 50% of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

But does he bet without the goods?

Notice that c/r'ing would be more of a "default" play here if the flop was bet in LP. This guy still has one to act behind him so you should be inclined to give him, at least, a little more credit. If you're read says otherwise, of course, by all means..
Old 06-23-2005, 04:22 PM

Hmmm yes I guess you are right. And I really can't answer the question, I considered him just being bad. Saw him bet middle pair and over cards before, nothing too aggressive though, and I didn't have more solid information.

I just wanted to isolate him and get it heads-up and wasn't thinking about that. I should though.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:10 PM

How passive or aggressive is MP3?
Old 06-23-2005, 04:22 PM

What do you interpet the pause on the turn as? If you think it is because he is unsure if he wants to continue with the hand, it is probably less likely that he is on the flush draw. If he was on the flush draw he likely would call without thinking of the odds, or if he should continue with the hand.

Becareful in multiway pots thinking an opponent has nothing. Even an idiot usually won't bet into a large field without something of a hand.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:24 PM

I thought that he was unsure to continue with his hand.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought that he was unsure to continue with his hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't read to much into that stuff. I pause all the time in hands, but for every time that is the result of me thinking about something in the hand there are ten when it has more to do with having a hand at another table or watching something on TV.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:37 PM

Generally, I agree, but this was the first time he did this.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Generally, I agree, but this was the first time he did this.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you flip a coin and it comes up heads - it's still 50/50 on the next filp that it will comes up heads again.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:41 PM

I don't think a river bet would be for value, exactly, since I think you'll lose more often than not when you get called. I have doubts about your getting a better hand to fold very often, either.

If you check, Villain might interpret this check as fear of the flush card. And he might check behind with a better hand that he wouldn't fold and give you a free showdown. Also, I guess he might decide to bluff a busted wheel draw or something.

I guess I like check-calling the river, but I wouldn't really expect to win if Villain decided to bet.