Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2005, 10:52 AM

Default Defence Against The Continuation Bet

How do you deal with the continuation bet (preflop raiser bets the flop)? Particularly if holding say a mid pocket pair and the flop is low and you suspect the opponent has overcards. Do you just call or reraise? Does it depend on your read of the opponent? What type of opponent do you check raise? Is it better to checkraise with some kind of a draw like a suited connector that has paired? Is it +ve EV to even ask the question [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2005, 10:54 AM

Default Re: Defence Against The Continuation Bet

I generally checkraise him if I'm relatively sure the flop missed him. Then I lead the turn if I'm called...if he plays back at me on the turn, I know he's got an overpair and i'm out unless I have a set or two pair, in which case I push. Also, the first time you pull this play, make sure you have a strong hand, it makes your future plays more ominous.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:57 AM

Doesn't the opponent HAVE to have overcards? Or unpaired cards? I'm pretty sure the continuation bet is without improvement, or a hand. You have to be the preflop raiser, have nobody else bet before you, and completely miss the flop.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:53 AM

He's asking what to do when faced with a probable continuation bet.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He's asking what to do when faced with a probable continuation bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct, and I'm trying to clarify what a continuation bet is for my own satisfaction, not for him. I'm asking about certain stipulations about the rules of a continuation bet.

Example:

John raises preflop. Larry calls. John has 77. Flop is 492. Larry checks and John bets pot. Now is John simply making a continuation bet here, as the flop didn't improve his hand? Or does that not count as he already has a hand, a pocket pair?

That's what I'm asking.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
stipulations about the rules of a continuation bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are there rules? I'd say if John wants to protect his hand and take it down right there, he's making a continuation bet. If he thinks he has the best hand and wants to get called, he's betting for value. Makes sense?
Old 06-20-2005, 12:09 PM

Gotcha.

As I understand it a continuation bet is continuing the lead after raising preflop without connecting with the flop, whatever that means - if you opened with 77, that means betting the ace-high flop, etc.

I'm sure you know that the semantics of what a continuation bet is don't really matter and not to worry about them.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:13 PM

Yeah, I know they don't matter. I just want clarity is all. Um, Bear, the rules to a continuation bet were in Harrington's first book. I stated them earlier, but he didn't clarify on what improving on the flop actually was. I'll PM Don Slansky or something.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:28 PM

Continuation bet:

Your opponent raised preflop, then bets the flop, and you're pretty sure he missed, and your pair is good. How do you play it? That's what OP was asking. Let's not complicate it.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you're pretty sure he missed

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, but none of us know if missed equals no improvement or if missed means no pair or above.

OP, it depends on who the opponent is. If he's a super tight player and I've called with a PP that doesn't set, I usually check-fold to a decent bet. If he's fishy, and loose, I might check-call. If he's tight and aggressive, I might lead out or I might check-raise. Player dependent. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]