Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2004, 11:42 AM

Default I\'m a weak calling station, aren\'t I?

Hi,

.5/1 Party. 10 handed. The table has been loose (4-6 seeing the flop) and passive (less than 20% PFR).

Hero is in MP1 with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Preflop:
UTG folds. UTG+1 calls. Hero calls. MP2 calls. LP1 and LP2 fold. Button calls.
SB raises. BB calls. UTG+1 calls. Hero calls.
MP2 raises. Button folds. SB, BB, UTG+1 call. Hero calls.

Flop:
9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (5 players, 15 SB)

Checked to MP2, who bets. SB, BB, UTG+1 call. Hero calls.

Turn:
T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] (5 players, 10 BB)

SB and BB check. UTG+1 bets. Hero calls. MP2, SB, and BB call.

River:
7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] (5 players, 15 BB)

SB and BB check. UTG+1 bets. Hero calls. MP2 calls. SB and BB fold.

Final Pot: 18 BB, contested by UTG+1, Hero and MP2.

Result: ??

Let me know what you think,
PP
Old 10-05-2004, 11:47 AM

Default Re: I\'m a weak calling station, aren\'t I?

Doesn't look terrible to me. I raise the river. Flop call was debatable, but probably not bad getting 18:1. I might raise the flop to try to drag the pot as soon as possible, but it's really dependent on what I think of the players.

Gutshot call is fine on the turn, though I hate calling with a gutshot not closing the action.

I'd raise the river.

Rob
Old 10-05-2004, 12:01 PM

Raising vs calling on the river was the tough choice for me. Since the bet was directly to my left, I thought it'd be better to try to get overcalls.

I thought the flop call was pretty easy, getting 18:1. I'm 22:1 to hit, and I'll definitely be able to collect 2 big bets on the turn and river.

I never considered raising the flop; I put MP2 on a large overpair (he limp/3-bet, after all), and I didn't think he'd fold.

I was disappointed when UTG+1 bet into me on the turn, but I had more than just a gutshot -- 3 clean 7s, 1 tainted 7, and 2 tainted 8s makes probably 5 outs, so I only need 8:1 to call. Even if it gets raised behind me, I'm getting proper odds to call.

PP
Old 10-05-2004, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raising vs calling on the river was the tough choice for me. Since the bet was directly to my left, I thought it'd be better to try to get overcalls.

I thought the flop call was pretty easy, getting 18:1. I'm 22:1 to hit, and I'll definitely be able to collect 2 big bets on the turn and river.

I never considered raising the flop; I put MP2 on a large overpair (he limp/3-bet, after all), and I didn't think he'd fold.

I was disappointed when UTG+1 bet into me on the turn, but I had more than just a gutshot -- 3 clean 7s, 1 tainted 7, and 2 tainted 8s makes probably 5 outs, so I only need 8:1 to call. Even if it gets raised behind me, I'm getting proper odds to call.

PP

[/ QUOTE ]
For the record, I think you played it fine. My only disagreement is with your flop play and your assessment of MP2's hand. Unless you have a reason to think he has a big pair, simply assuming it isn't good. Hell, I saw a LR-R earlier today from a decent player with KcJc.

Rob
Old 10-05-2004, 12:04 PM

FWIW, I think Helmuth's book advocates LR-R'ing with middle pairs, though I don't know for sure. It would certainly explain why I've seen that from 77 more times than not recently.

Rob
Old 10-05-2004, 11:49 AM

Raise PF (?), Raise the flop, raise the river.

-d
Old 10-05-2004, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise PF (?), Raise the flop, raise the river.

-d

[/ QUOTE ]
Limping with 88 in MP1 is fine, especially at a loose table where you're more likely to get set value.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:55 AM

I don't like raising preflop -- the table had been very passive, but raises hadn't been chasing people out. With that table texture, I like playing medium pairs solely for their set value.

I don't like raising the flop either -- while SB would raise with a variety of hands, MP2's limp/3-bet screams big pocket pair. Why would I raise with what was almost definitely the worst hand, with no chance of making better hands fold?

To me, the closest decision was raising or calling on the river...I decided to call because the bet was directly to my left, and going for overcalls was better than making the field call two bets when a scare card hit.

PP
Old 10-05-2004, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like raising preflop -- the table had been very passive, but raises hadn't been chasing people out. With that table texture, I like playing medium pairs solely for their set value.

I don't like raising the flop either -- while SB would raise with a variety of hands, MP2's limp/3-bet screams big pocket pair. Why would I raise with what was almost definitely the worst hand, with no chance of making better hands fold?

To me, the closest decision was raising or calling on the river...I decided to call because the bet was directly to my left, and going for overcalls was better than making the field call two bets when a scare card hit.

PP

[/ QUOTE ]
MP2's limp-3bet doesn't come close to screaming "big pair" for me at these levels. I've seen it done with big pairs, sure -- I've also seen it done with K7o. He could be doing it with AKs, which is a legitimate hand, and you're still way ahead of that.

Since MP2 LR-R'd, I'd bet into him to see if he raises to thin the field. If he raises, then you can narrow your read on him, then catch runner runner for the straight. If he doesn't, overcards are more likely than an overpair, and you can get the feeling that you have the best hand.

Rob
Old 10-05-2004, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
MP2's limp-3bet doesn't come close to screaming "big pair" for me at these levels. I've seen it done with big pairs, sure -- I've also seen it done with K7o. He could be doing it with AKs, which is a legitimate hand, and you're still way ahead of that.

[/ QUOTE ]

True enough. I have a hard time wrapping my little brain around folks who do things like that.

PP