Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2005, 02:19 AM

Default I will not be donating to the victims of Katrina

First off let me say that I cannot imagine what it must be like to be directly affected by this awful natural disaster. My heart goes out to those who were and their loved ones lost.

Unfortunately for them, I will not be donating a dime to any charity for the relief effort. Our government should be able to fund the appropriate agencies but instead we have no surplus for several reasons. Priority one for the new president was that the wealthy people of this nation "needed" a huge tax break. Also, we're hemorrhaging money on the "war" in Iraq. Lastly, and the most disturbing to me since at least a tax break and the occupation of Iraq can be argued to have American interest in mind, our government hands out charity to other nations for disaster relief and copious other reasons when we obviously can't afford it.

I heard Mr. Bush speak today regarding the victims of Katrina and just as I thought he did not mention any international aid nor did he ask for any. He sure did ask the American people to send cash though.

We're losing a great many jobs to countries like China, India, Mexico, and Japan. Maybe since "our" president is so religious, he should pray that these countries will lend us a helping hand. Somehow though I dont beleive either will happen.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:23 AM

Default Re: I will not be donating to the victims of Katrina

there's more profit for Republicans to be engaged in war then in flood/disaster relief - makes the guys who donate money to the cause happy

may I suggest voting Democrat in the next election?

RB
Old 09-01-2005, 02:30 AM

so do u think the people who are volunteering time and energy to rescue people from their roofs and attics are being ignorant? Should they just sit back and say.."this is not my responsibility?" you are sad, it shouldnt be about money at a time like this.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:04 AM

you should have read the sarcasm a bit more closely in my post -

my point is that there SHOULD be federal funds for this problem, and there WERE resources set aside (as well as for flood control) that were diverted for the war in Iraq -

this is for the simple reason being that the powers that be would rather pay blood for oil and there's good money to be made in it -

the only way the guys in power would ever give a flying serious [censored] about New Orleans is because it does have some offshore drilling - otherwise I'm waiting for Pat Robertson to come on and say it's all God's will, taking out the city of sin or some other lameass [censored]...

I just told it the way it currently is, not the way it should be - I WILL be donating money - since my taxes went overseas to kill Iraqi's, at least this time my money can do some good.

RB
Old 09-01-2005, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
otherwise I'm waiting for Pat Robertson to come on and say it's all God's will, taking out the city of sin or some other lameass [censored]...

[/ QUOTE ]

Kennedy beat him to it.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
so do u think the people who are volunteering time and energy to rescue people from their roofs and attics are being ignorant? Should they just sit back and say.."this is not my responsibility?" you are sad, it shouldnt be about money at a time like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. The people of New Orleans were shortsighted--no, foolish. Their infrastructure was unsound for many years. They live at an unsound elevation in an area that has a history of hurricanes...And many stayed after they knew this was going to be a big one...

Maybe the people there read too many Sklansky posts in the Philosophy section and thought god/JC/Buddha or whatever would stop the hurricane dead in it's tracks and save the city [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-01-2005, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yes. The people of New Orleans were shortsighted--no, foolish. Their infrastructure was unsound for many years. They live at an unsound elevation in an area that has a history of hurricanes...And many stayed after they knew this was going to be a big one...

[/ QUOTE ]

Many people did not have to option to leave due to lack of financial and other resources. Also many people can not afford to easily move away due to many reasons, like jobs and such. To say they are all "foolish" is asinine, are you saying anyone that lives in california is foolish, there could be an earthquake anytime there, does that make everyone in the state foolish? Anyone that lives in a flood zone in the united states, or for that matter any country, are they foolish?

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe the people there read too many Sklansky posts in the Philosophy section and thought god/JC/Buddha or whatever would stop the hurricane dead in it's tracks and save the city [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

bad joke... even worse, bad timing
Old 09-01-2005, 05:36 PM

I'm so disturbed by this thread I don't even know where to start. Hate Bush... that's fine. Hate the war... that's fine. Hate your own country... I guess that's fine too.

However, why would you abandon anyone in need at a time like this?

And how do you think the government would "find" or "finance" 20-30 billion in "reserve" cash. It's this type of "the government will provide" that has turned us into an economically upside-down welfare state.

I'm guessing you're a democrat (based on your disgust for Bush)... and I'm glad to see you are following suite with all the other liberals... ABANDON ANYONE AND EVERYONE IF IT MEANS MAKING REPUBLICANS BAD.

Do you not realize that if it wasn't for the lower-middle class African-American voting block... democrats wouldn't have won a national election in the last 30 years.

NOW you turn your back on those that have made your party a viable platform. And I'm sure, somehow... this will all be blamed on the Evil Empire and how we wasted all our money on the War.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Many people did not have to option to leave due to lack of financial and other resources. Also many people can not afford to easily move away due to many reasons, like jobs and such. To say they are all "foolish" is asinine, are you saying anyone that lives in california is foolish, there could be an earthquake anytime there, does that make everyone in the state foolish? Anyone that lives in a flood zone in the united states, or for that matter any country, are they foolish?

[/ QUOTE ]

Serious question: How many days head start did people have? If I knew a Category 5 Hurricane was heading my way, I would find a way to escape.

Having levees assumes an attempt to protect the city. But not keeping levees, roads and bridges in good repair is gross negligence by the city and lack of concern by the residents.

People in flood zones take their chances, but an overflowing river is slower than a hurricane. My cousins used to live in the Grand Forks area. The people there could sandbag very efficiently (until the last big flood which overcame the dikes). But still, there is time to grab your shjt and leave when you see torrential rain and a rising river...

Earthquakes--again you take your chances. Nobody is making you live on the fault line.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:25 AM

yes this is the best possible way to express your dissatisfaction.