Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 08:07 PM

Default America won the vietnam war

Sometimes I get a thought that goes against majority opinion, and I want to see how far off I am.

The war in vietnam, was really a war to contain atheist communism. This containment was the actual war and not the battle of whether or not vietnam fell to conmunism. The war in vietnam had contries scared to revolt to communism for fear of USA interference. If these contries would have gone communist they likely would have helped the USSR with trade relations and strengh in numbers. There are currently only 5 contries left under communist rule. So not only was the vietnam war a success in containment, it stemed the tide of a political movement that was sweeping europe and eventually most of the globe, and was victorious in not only containing but also to start to start the attrition of communist state. Is it possible to lose the battle of vietnam, yet win the war on containment. I think it is, and as far as I know no one else has agreed with me.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:17 PM

Default Re: America won the vietnam war

Ok, I'll bite.

[ QUOTE ]
The war in vietnam had contries scared to revolt to communism for fear of USA interference.

[/ QUOTE ]

What countries? Laos? Cambodia?

[ QUOTE ]
So not only was the vietnam war a success in containment, it stemed the tide of a political movement that was sweeping europe and eventually most of the globe, and was victorious in not only containing but also to start to start the attrition of communist state.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain the connection between the outcome of the war and the events you cite.

[ QUOTE ]
Is it possible to lose the battle of vietnam, yet win the war on containment.

[/ QUOTE ]

And its possible that communism was doomed regardless. X followed Y is not equal to Y caused X.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Contries in Europe, Africa, and South America. It's impossible to say which ones becasue it didn't happen.

[ QUOTE ]
Please explain the connection between the outcome of the war and the events you cite.

[/ QUOTE ] I was hoping to get some help in this regard. But the agreument relies on the war stoping futher spread of communism based on the fear of retribution. Stopping that spread was the real reason the "cold war" was successful.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Contries in Europe, Africa, and South America. It's impossible to say which ones becasue it didn't happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Y'know, I have a rock on my desk that keeps lions from attacking me and it works 100% of the time. How do I know? I've never been attacked by lions.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:57 PM

How does it work?
Old 09-22-2005, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

How does it work?

[/ QUOTE ]

It scares them all away. Lord only knows how many times I could have been attacked by a lion if I didn't have it.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contries in Europe, Africa, and South America. It's impossible to say which ones becasue it didn't happen.

Y'know, I have a rock on my desk that keeps lions from attacking me and it works 100% of the time. How do I know? I've never been attacked by lions

[/ QUOTE ] This doens't follow at all. Please rephrase your attack. For a cheap shot you could just say that Loas and Cambodia did fall into a communist state.

Or if you want to actually contribute you could point out the falicies of the Domino theory in regards to nations. Or you could point out that new communist states wouldn't have to be against america. Both of which where accepted at the time.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This doens't follow at all. Please rephrase your attack. For a cheap shot you could just say that Loas and Cambodia did fall into a communist state.

[/ QUOTE ]

It follows perfectly. There is absolutely no causal link between America's involvement in Vietnam and your myriad of unnamed countries which didn't fall to Communism, but would have if America hadn't been involved in Vietnam. In the same way, there is no causal link between a rock sitting on my desk and my not being attacked by lions.

It's a silly argument and you're a silly person.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:54 AM

Default Say anything

[ QUOTE ]
It's impossible to say which ones because it didn't happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why when I open 2+2 Politics I also open Word -- and copy down text. If only sitcom writers knew about us.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:07 AM

Default Re: Say anything

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's impossible to say which ones because it didn't happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why when I open 2+2 Politics I also open Word -- and copy down text. If only sitcom writers knew about us.

[/ QUOTE ]

I get jokes..

well some of time