Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2005, 01:08 AM

Default I\'m a bit new to SnGs- Need advice

Party 11/1

Ive been playing a few of these lately and feel that I am doing very well but am a bit over aggro when it gets down to 3-4 handed. This was a hand that just came up that made me wonder.

4 handed. blinds 50/100
Stacks are:
Hero UTG ( $1040 ) with K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Button ( $700 ) Seems loose
SB ( $2235 ) Playing decently tight
BB ( $4025 ) Loose and aggro

I have been very tight so far.

What is my play here?
Old 07-26-2005, 01:15 AM

Default Re: I\'m a bit new to SnGs- Need advice

How laggy is big-stack BB? Being called by 98s doesn't exactly make my day here. Still, you've got KQs in the CO.

Push.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:25 AM

what i was mainly thinking is that the button is more desperate than i am, and may make a move if i fold. also the fact that the LAG is in the BB when hes the button means that when the time comes for him to make a move, he will likely get action.

is this too weak? im usually pretty aggro here and pick up a lot of chips. i know thats the name of the game here. basically i was thinking that:
-i have a decent amount of chips, its not THAT easy to call my push. most hands that do have me beat.
-i can survive an orbit or two and still have enough chips to make some moves.

am i way off?
Old 07-26-2005, 01:16 AM

Push. You're fighting with the button for chips and can't pass on this opportunity. Wow, it's only lvl 4 and you're 4-handed? Eh, you still need to act here. You're hand is too strong to fold, calling sacrifices FE, and any raise other than a push is pretty ridiculous. With $700 and a chance you'll go out, shorty isn't calling most of the time, SB is also folding most of the time if he's tight. Unfortunately BB sounds like he's calling. With a loose/aggro style and a ton of chips to dick around with he's probably in. Sucks if he calls with a naked ace or a low pair, but some of the time he calls with K hands you dominate. Overall, I think it's very +EV to push. Sometimes BB's style puts you on the ugly end of a coin-flip, but you can still come from behind. Other times his style makes you a significant favorite to double up (other times you run into a monster).

Edit: In any case, I think you double up or steal the blinds in this situation much more often than you bust. If it weren't 4-handed and the stacks weren't as they are, lvl 4 is usually a bit early to be making these moves, but this game seems to be going very fast.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
any raise other than a push is pretty ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

can you explain why this is so? what would be the negative effects of raising to t600?
Old 07-26-2005, 01:53 AM

because at that point you only have 400 left and any bet you make after the flop will be tiny compared to the pot and will likely get called.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
because at that point you only have 400 left and any bet you make after the flop will be tiny compared to the pot and will likely get called.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i know, but why is that bad?

do i not want to get called at all? perhaps a loose BB will call this t500 raise and when i hit a decent flop i can push

maybe if the flop is really terrible for my hand, like A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (off the top of my head), i can save my last few chips.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because you're behind any ace, even a weak one, you're behind any PP, even 22...and against any Qx, Jx, etc. - you're only a 65-35'ish kind of favorite. Lots of ways to lose and bust out if you're called.

[ QUOTE ]
do i not want to get called at all?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, you don't want to get called.

[ QUOTE ]
maybe if the flop is really terrible for my hand, like A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (off the top of my head), i can save my last few chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

And do what with them? You will then have ZERO fold equity with them, won't be able to withstand the blinds for more than two rounds, your shortstacked opponent will not make a move, and you'll be forced to value bet the next ten-or-higher card hand you have, likely as a significant dog.

Just push this. If you push here every 1000 times you're in this situation, you will come out far better than if you raise slightly and try to save your last few chips.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

do i not want to get called at all? perhaps a loose BB will call this t500 raise and when i hit a decent flop i can push

[/ QUOTE ]
OK so lets say you just raise to 600 with you K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], leaving you with 440. all fold to the BB who calls.

flop comes K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. You have top pair, good kicker. Villain checks, So you bet 440 and am all in. You are now giving the villain 3.8 to 1 odds to call plenty large enough to call with almost anything. If he is currently behind he is not paying nearly enough to chase a possible flush draw, he is even getting about the right odds to call his under pair hoping to improve to trips or two pair.

I may not have explained this as eloquently as others may have been able to, but I hope I helped you understand a little better.

Also, you said if you dont connect on the flop you can fold and save your last 440 to fight another. If you are left with only this you are severly crippled and are so low that even very tight players will be willing to call your small all in, you could possibly get all 3 opponents calling severly decreasing your odds of winning an all in. Now lets consider you go all in and survive, you are still severely short stacked and need to go all in very quick again.and by that point the blinds have probably moved up at least to the next level.

Hope I helped.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:58 AM

If anyone reraises you, you have to go all in (or call in case of button). The remaining players "might" be inclined to call 600 but not 1000 with their current hand. The best way to win this hand is to get everyone to fold (Thank you Captain obvious)