Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2005, 02:57 AM

Default Moneymaker dominating a $10 PS tourney with 37 remaining

According to my sources Moneymaker has never made a PS final table of an MTT.

Also curzdog (regular 10-20 NL player) is like 3rd in chips. Moneymaker has the chiplead.

Should be somewhat interesting.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:08 AM

Default Re: Moneymaker dominating a $10 PS tourney with 37 remaining

Curzdog is all but done, due to yet another PokerStars beat. Flopped a set of 3's on a low flop and guy called his all in with JJ and hit a jack on the turn. Moneymaker is still doing well though, 2nd in chips now. And as I type this Curzdog's top pair doesn't hold and he's knocked out in 25th place.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:08 PM

I delivered the bad beat in that hand with the jacks vs the set of 3s. I also finished second in the tourney last night.

I probably made a bad call with the jacks. Ok, I almost certainly did. My opponent was one of the few people in the tourney that could bust me. He waited a long time before pushing over my bet, and somehow I convinced myself that he had to have been contemplating whether his overcards or flush draw was worth pushing.

I had a crazy run as soon as I got moved to Moneymaker's table, no hands vs him though. I was a bit short stacked and got all in with Ad Kd vs Ah Qh. Q xh x flops, and I'm in big trouble. King of hearts on the turn. Blank on the river and I'm alive.

Less than 5 minutes later, I get AQ and get all in against a signifigantly shorter stack. He has AK. I flop a queen and it holds up.

and no more than 5 minutes after that was the JJ hand which made me the chipleader at the time. Moneymaker and I traded the chip lead back and forth until the final table.

With about 6 left he went on a mad rush, we went from me and him both having about 2 million in chips(half of the ~8 million in play) to him having 5 million and me being in second with just aroudn 1 million.

Everyone definitely got timid. I didn't feel comfortable at all in that situation. I was 2nd in chips and a couple of stacks were extremely short. I certainly wanted to win but i've never done nearly this good in a tournament before and each place was a not insignifigant(to me) jump in money. Once we got down to 3 I couldn't let that affect me and I started to get agressive again, and after a few orbits where we were all stealing a fair amount, got lucky getting AK when the other shorter stack had AJ, that held up and we were heads up shortly after that.

Moneymaker totally owned me heads up. I cut the chiplead to 5 mil:3 mil a couple of times but he just ran over me. I kept getting hands like A7-A9, KT, no pairs, no great aces. I would raise pre-flop, he'd call. I'd bet the flop which seemingly always had a high card but never paired me. He'd call the flop and I'd give up the hand on the turn. I'm sure he could read me like a book at that point, as I did the same thing numerous times. I was desparately waiting for any sort of hand at all, any pair, anything, with the intent of check-raising him all in on the turn to slow him down a bit, but I never hit anything, and never picked a time to do that and was basically giving up a lot of hands on the turn when I had ace high but hadn't hit anything and he hadn't gone away yet.

We had a break during heads up play and I was down about 7:1. I felt like moneymaker got very timid at this point, he folded pre-flop to me a *lot*. At that point every time I raised I was ready to go all in but he never called. When he raised if I had anything playable I came over him all-in(that only happened twice before the final hand I believe).

On the final hand I had folded to his last few raises and he'd raised about 4 hands in a row, so I decided to go ahead and make my stand with Q8, figuring there was a decent chance given previous action that he'd fold or that I wouldn't be that big a dog. He had AT and I wasn't a huge huge underdog, but he held up.

I don't know if I played very poorly heads up or not honestly, but I felt very very out of sorts during the heads up action, even knowing that I was playing catchup, I just never felt comfortable, whehter he was just picking his spots to raise well or he had the cards, I could just never get any momentum and was not hitting to make a stand with when he started pushing hard at me.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:13 PM

Headsup is something you're gonna need to work on because it's a huge money step.

On another note, people need to lay off moneymaker. The [censored] peanut gallery is talking [censored] when this guy continues to play well and win tournaments. When was the last time any of you morons won 12K?
Old 07-27-2005, 12:59 PM

Yeah seriously some of you should back off Moneymaker. I'm quite sure he could whipe the floor with you.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah seriously some of you should back off Moneymaker. I'm quite sure he could whipe the floor with you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Im hating the haters. It sounds very simply like jealousy.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

On another note, people need to lay off moneymaker. The [censored] peanut gallery is talking [censored] when this guy continues to play well and win tournaments. When was the last time any of you morons won 12K?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just finished his book. I have to say I liked it. Cleared up some of the rumors and gives you a better impression of what kind of guy he really is. I highly recommend it.

Ben
Old 07-27-2005, 07:51 PM

Moneymaker must like the $10 rebuys, he's 9th with 95 left in the $15k guaranteed on stars.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:09 AM

Wow curzdog just took a beat. I feel bad.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:23 AM

Mr. Money just took the lead with 1.6 million