Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 05:46 PM

Default QQ over pair, runs into plenty of action

Typical 2/4 table, nothing special

Mp1 is 36/11 over 61 hands.
UTG is a total fish
everyone else is unknown

Party Poker 2.00/4.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(8 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, SB calls.

Flop: (20.00 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 calls, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (15.00 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 folds, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG calls.

River: (19.00 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks.

Final Pot: 19.00 BB.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:58 PM

Default Re: QQ over pair, runs into plenty of action

Well, I guess MP1's AK missed. Perhaps I put him on that since I had a guy limp-reraise me with AK this morning - the first time I remember that play.

I wish I didn't know what happened on the river. Were you going for a check-raise? I think the only hands that call your check-raise are hands that beat you.

I think I'd be more prone to bet on the river and call a raise, crying all the while.

Regards,

T
Old 09-14-2005, 06:01 PM

I'm raising the flop. In fact, I'm happy if the flop gets capped. The way it was played then, I obviously raise the turn.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:07 PM

I just raise the flop and go from there.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:09 PM

I might raise the flop, just in the hopes that someone will fold something that could go on to beat me, in this huge pot. (By the way, if you're ahead, a pocket pair such as 33 has the odds to call a single flop bet and draw against you.)

Possibly you hoped to wait and raise the turn. And if that was your plan and MP1 hadn't interfered on the flop, a turn raise on a blank might have been an effective way to thin the field. (However, one thing to keep in mind is that, given the coordinated nature of the board, there aren't as many "safe" cards to hope for as would be ideal.)

Maybe a turn donk-bet is something to consider? I don't know. You don't want it getting checked through. In any event, though, when MP1 bets again on the turn versus four opponents, I am worried that his preflop LRR was in fact AA/KK (or 99/88/44/22). But maybe he feels obligated to keep pushing with AQs, after all the strength he's shown. I recall a lot of that sort of thing taking place at 2/4.

Since MP1 checked behind on the river, I'm thinking you probably won, unless one of the other players whiffed on a river checkraise.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Possibly you hoped to wait and raise the turn. And if that was your plan and MP1 hadn't interfered on the flop, a turn raise on a blank might have been an effective way to thin the field. (However, one thing to keep in mind is that, given the coordinated nature of the board, there aren't as many "safe" cards to hope for as would be ideal.)

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah that was the plan.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:09 PM

yeah at the time i was going to c/r the river. I think they call with hands that dont beat me. I definately didnt expect it to get checked around in a thousand years. UTG is like 60/5 over 100 hands, or something ridiculous like that.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:56 PM

should have raised the flop for sure. Stopped reading after that
Old 09-14-2005, 08:20 PM

Since MP1 will probably raise the flop(whether he has a hand or not), you should probably raise the flop. I think you planned on raising the turn, but in this case I think you should have go ahead and started the raising on the flop. I think it would be easier to play this one fast.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:13 PM

Raise the SB's bet on the flop and go from there.