Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2005, 04:45 PM

Default Interesting books about self improvement and such?

I've just read "Mastery" by George Leonard after seing it recommended on this board several times. It is a really great book.

I don't know if it will help me in any way but I hope so. Anyway it has been a great read and it has felt like a smaller enlightenment.

Are there any other books about self-improvement, life strategy and similar topics that you guys can recommend?

I'd be really interested in reading more books on those broad topics. Some more narrower topics that spring to mind are
-"Increase your energy"
-"Sharpen your concentration"
-"Quit procrasinating"

This post is about books so I can understand if some people think it is better fitted for the books forum. I however feel that it is better suited for this forum.

Thanks!
Old 09-18-2005, 05:01 PM

Default Re: Interesting books about self improvement and such?

Sounds stupid, but I'm reading "Natural cures they dont want you to know about" and it's actually extremely alarming. We are ingesting so many toxins in all of our food and drugs it's amazing we still function. Not just for 'curing' disease, but the book gives a great deal of information on how diet change can do and solve just about everything. Interesting read.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds stupid, but I'm reading "Natural cures they dont want you to know about" and it's actually extremely alarming. We are ingesting so many toxins in all of our food and drugs it's amazing we still function. Not just for 'curing' disease, but the book gives a great deal of information on how diet change can do and solve just about everything. Interesting read.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too bad the guy is a complete quack who has basically been doing infomercials for years trying to make a buck; he's succeeded with this book. He's also a convicted felon.

FTC Action

Salon
Old 09-21-2005, 06:07 PM

but the maga memory system did help me wail @$$ on the SAT and through college foreign languages
Old 09-21-2005, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but the maga memory system did help me wail @$$ on the SAT and through college foreign languages

[/ QUOTE ]

This is great stuff!

It would be nice if people could share their stories, how self-improvement stuff have helped them (or not). For inspiration!

I can post a small succes I've had as well. I've read "Speed Reading" by Tony Buzan. I've always been somewhat of a slow reader. This helped me get up to normal or upper normal pace, by just applying some of the techniques in the book. I'm pretty sure there is room for alot more improvement, and one of me short term success goals has to to with improveing my reading speed.

The techniques in the book can help save time and also make reading more fun [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Most of the stuff that is in the book can easily be found on the internet. Still I'd buy it because it's such a low investment with alot of reward.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what book, what meory system worked well for you?
Old 10-02-2005, 08:05 PM

Kevin Trudeau's mega memory system as seen on tv....especially late night infomercials
Old 09-26-2005, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Too bad the guy is a complete quack who has basically been doing infomercials for years trying to make a buck; he's succeeded with this book. He's also a convicted felon.

[/ QUOTE ]

The ideas he presents in the book have nothing to do with him or him being a quack and a felon. They have a place in each and every humans daily life. I agree, he's a creep but his book has insipred me to change to an organic diet that has already made me feel 104% better.

Call me open-minded, but maybe you should read it before you bash it.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The ideas he presents in the book have nothing to do with him or him being a quack and a felon. They have a place in each and every humans daily life. I agree, he's a creep but his book has insipred me to change to an organic diet that has already made me feel 104% better.

Call me open-minded, but maybe you should read it before you bash it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Call me open-minded, but I'd prefer to get my health tips from an actual doctor, or at least someone whose resume doesn't consist completely of infomercial whoring and fraud. How could you possibly take anything he says seriously after looking into his background?

If you want a book that disusses a more natural diet and excercise plan, read something by Andrew Weil, an MD from Harvard who is a big advocate of a natural, healthy lifestyle.

BTW, did you know that "gullible" cannot be found in the dictionary? Amazing!
Old 09-18-2005, 05:37 PM

At the moment I'm reading Theodore Bryant's "Self-discipline in ten days" after seeing it being recommended here on these forums. So far, it seems good and useful.